Related Items after migration

rr0ss0rr
rr0ss0rr
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Families

I migrated to Families from Mac 1P and noticed that all my attachments became documents. The problem is I have a bunch of Secure Notes that had many PDF attachments that now show (under Related Items) "Imported Attachment - deleted item". It would have been more convenient if instead of showing that the item was deleted that you replaced it with a link to the new (old attachment) document.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member

Part 2 of this is that on the Mac I linked all the documents into each secure note then edited the documents that I just linked to rename the title. IOS and Mac reflect the renamed file in the secure note, but the Web still shows the original name in the secure note even though the Web reflects the document has been renamed (I removed ".pdf - Personal Info..." part of the doc title)

DOCUMENT
    Birth Certificate - Daughter One
    Document

SECURE NOTE
    Related Items
    Birth Certificate - Daughter One.pdf - Personal Info (Daughter One)

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Sorry .. looks like I goofed .. It turns out labels were automatically created with the same name as the document name. I guess I wasn't expecting that a linked document would automatically create a label the same name as the document name or the reason why it was created in the first place.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rr0ss0rr: Ah, sorry for the confusion! Documents and the "linking" feature are just different enough that it can throw me off too sometimes. It's also important to keep in mind that since all of the data in a vault is encrypted, files can't be edited on the fly; you'll need to add the new (changed) file.

Be sure to let us know if you run into anything else like this. Even if it's "working as intended", having descriptions like yours really help us understand the difficulties. I'd love to hear if you have any other feedback or suggestions! :)

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

@brenty. Thanks. I didn't modify the document but just needed to change the name that 1p Family migration created. Think it was attachment name + secured note name for the name of the document and the same for the label name with the document link

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

@brenty .. ok .. Call me confused again ;-) With the migration to Family everything was placed in my Personal vault. Now I'm moving items to the appropriate vault for each family member. Back to my original Secure Note with multiple attachments .. so now those attachments were separated from the note and became documents. I then linked the Secure Note back to these documents. So ... Now I need to move that Secured Note with Links into a different vault. Is there a way to do this without destroying the existing links and having to relink the note back to all the documents again? Maybe it would be nice to have the ability to move the Note plus the documents that it references and automagically keeping the Link chain intact. I guess I'm still wandering why Documents are better than Attachments .. It seems like it's a lot more work this new way (at least initially).

• Hi @rr0ss0rr

At the moment:

1. Documents cannot be moved between vaults
    2. Related Items are dropped when moving an item to another vault (though you'll still see a reference showing that there was a Related Item that has been removed)

Obviously this is not ideal. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to make it so that Documents can transition between vaults automatically, and also build in some logic for how items with Related Items should be handled when moving. For now you should just get a warning that the relations will not carry over to the destination vault.

I guess I'm still wandering why Documents are better than Attachments .. It seems like it's a lot more work this new way (at least initially).

Documents are better in part because they are independent of other items and can be linked to multiple items. For example, I have a reference to each of my credit cards from each login that has those details. That way I can quickly see what sites need updating when my CC details change.

This (moving between vaults) is a bit of a pain point at the moment however and we do hope to improve that as we continue to iterate.

Ben

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member

@ben .. Thanks for the explanation and example .. never thought of doing that

• You're most welcome. :) Thanks for your continued feedback on the Families service.

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@bwoodruff Thanks for your suggestion Ben on linking things other than documents - credit cards, bank accounts etc. I've been playing with this concept all morning and really like the idea of linking all my house utilities to the method they are paid from. One (minor) snafu I've run into is cross vault linking doesn't work. I knew it didn't work with documents so not surprised it doesn't work with other things, but maybe in the future? I was trying to link a utility login that's in a shared vault to the method of payment which is in my personal vault. Not a big deal, but your suggestion has expanded my thoughts on a way to cut down on Tags in lieu of linking items together. It's really one of the great things about 1Password Families - it's so customizable and I know this is just he beginning. Kudos to all.

• One (minor) snafu I've run into is cross vault linking doesn't work. I knew it didn't work with documents so not surprised it doesn't work with other things, but maybe in the future?

Yep. Unfortunately not.

In the future? Well, maybe. But how would we handle a case where an item is linked cross-vaults and a user only has access to one of those vaults? I suppose we could just not display the link. But the point is that linking across vaults definitely does add a layer of complexity. :)

it's so customizable and I know this is just he beginning

:+1:

Kudos to all.

Thanks buddy!

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

@bwoodruff

But how would we handle a case where an item is linked cross-vaults and a user only has access to one of those vaults?

Good point, as always.

This discussion has been closed.