Families Trial Back To Individual

jongilbertme
jongilbertme
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Families

Hello. I've been a very happy 1Password customer for many years. I currently have 1Password from the Apple Store.
I'm interested in trying out the family plan. I have 7 members in my family, yes, my wife and I have 5 children. That is our family.
For the promo, are the 2 'guest' accounts limited in any way? Or do they work just like every other member/license?

Since my family maxes out the number of accounts allowed on the family plan, I'll be letting my dad who lives in another state take one of our licenses while I'll share mine with my wife. What happens if we find the family plan is not for us? Are we able to go back to our current set up? Aka 1Password using separate vaults and dropbox for syncing. If so, without hassle?

Comments

• Hi @jongilbertme,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Guest accounts are indeed limited. Guests can only belong to one vault at a time, and they don’t have their own vault or access to the Shared vault. You can invite up to 2 Guests for free. Additional guests are charged at the same rate as additional family members ($1/mo/ea).

I don't believe there is any hard limit on the number of family members you can have on your account, but any additional above the included ones are charged at $1/mo/ea.

Since my family maxes out the number of accounts allowed on the family plan, I'll be letting my dad who lives in another state take one of our licenses while I'll share mine with my wife.

I'm not entirely sure I follow. Could you please elaborate? Licenses are typically not transferrable or sharable (unless specifically licensed for that).

What happens if we find the family plan is not for us? Are we able to go back to our current set up? Aka 1Password using separate vaults and dropbox for syncing. If so, without hassle?

Yes. You can move your items from your family vaults back to local (Dropbox) vaults. The one catch is that at present attachments from local vaults will convert to Documents in family vaults, but not vice versa. As such you'd need to manually re-attach your Documents to the appropriate items in your local vaults when transferring back. If you stop your family subscription your data will remain available in read-only mode.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jongilbertme
    jongilbertme
    Community Member

Thank you Ben, that clears up some of my questions. Thank you.
    I guess I'm not understanding the Guest accounts or their purpose. I'm not sure why I would want one if I want my family members to have independent access to storing their own passwords?
    I misinterpreted the promotion to mean that we would have 7 family members instead of the normal 5. Since I'm incorrect on that, I don't really see a need for a guest option, but would rather need to just add 2 additional family members to reach my household family, and 1 more additional family member to include my dad across the country, equaling $8/mo. total.

I'm sorry I misled on the licensing language. I was using 'license' with 'account' synonymously referring to the new family plan. What I meant by 'my dad take one of our licenses' was instead 'let my dad use one of the family member accounts'. (referring back to what I originally thought was that we'd have 7 family member accounts to divvy up.

Thank you for your time.

• xairbusdriver
    xairbusdriver
    Community Member

I appreciate your work on making things easier (I think) for families to use 1PW), but I don't think it has any extra features for helping me maintain my wife's password list nor do we share many passwords. I've used 1PW for as long as I can remember (I was acquainted with one of your programmers when your team was more widely scattered around the world!).

Guess I don't understand the "You can move your items from your family vaults back to local (Dropbox) vaults." :( Is the "Primary" vault NOT the original "local" vault I had before creating a "Family" plan? Do I simply use the "Remove Account" in theTeams tab in the Preferences? Obviously, I don't want to end up with losing my entire 1000+ passwords! :p

Thanks.

• jongilbertme
    jongilbertme
    Community Member

I apologize to add to the confusion a little more. I guess I've been reading too many other forum posts and mixed some of them in with the promotion you have on your blog regarding the 'guest' accounts.

On your promo page it states:
    "The ability to invite two more family members for free (a total of 7 family members!)"

That means all 7 accounts are exactly the same as far as features/privileges correct? That's not 5 family member accounts with 2 free guest accounts... it's 7 family member accounts for $5/mo (if used during promo period only). And any additional member is $1/mo. So, basically, I'm back to what I originally thought... 6 of my household members will be using 6 member accounts (my wife and I will share 1 login), and then my dad can have the 7th account. All for $5/mo.
    And if I find I want to add anyone else, it's $1/mo per person.

??

• @jongilbertme

I guess I'm not understanding the Guest accounts or their purpose. I'm not sure why I would want one if I want my family members to have independent access to storing their own passwords?

I'll give you an example that one of my colleagues shared. She has a "household" vault that contains information such as the Wi-Fi password, passcode to deactivate the alarm system, notes about how to switch over power to the generator if the grid is down, etc. This vault is shared with her family members. But sometimes they go out of town, and have someone watching the house. This person isn't a member of the family, so they only need access to this one vault, which they need when they are housesitting. This is a perfect case for a guest account.

You may not have a situation in which they'd come in handy, but the option is there in case you do. :)

I misinterpreted the promotion to mean that we would have 7 family members instead of the normal 5. Since I'm incorrect on that, I don't really see a need for a guest option, but would rather need to just add 2 additional family members to reach my household family, and 1 more additional family member to include my dad across the country, equaling $8/mo. total.

Your original interpretation was correct. The early adopter bonus gives you a total of 7 family members included in the base price. So if you have a total of 8, the cost would be $6/mo.

I'm sorry I misled on the licensing language. I was using 'license' with 'account' synonymously referring to the new family plan. What I meant by 'my dad take one of our licenses' was instead 'let my dad use one of the family member accounts'. (referring back to what I originally thought was that we'd have 7 family member accounts to divvy up.

I gotcha now. No problem. :)

@xairbusdriver

I appreciate your work on making things easier (I think) for families to use 1PW), but I don't think it has any extra features for helping me maintain my wife's password list nor do we share many passwords. I've used 1PW for as long as I can remember

Sorry to hear you haven't found value in a 1Password for Families subscription.

(I was acquainted with one of your programmers when your team was more widely scattered around the world!).

Oh? Who? We're still pretty scattered, but we try to get everybody together at least once per year.

Guess I don't understand the "You can move your items from your family vaults back to local (Dropbox) vaults." :( Is the "Primary" vault NOT the original "local" vault I had before creating a "Family" plan? Do I simply use the "Remove Account" in theTeams tab in the Preferences? Obviously, I don't want to end up with losing my entire 1000+ passwords! :p

Your "Primary" vault would indeed be your "local" / non-Families vault. If you haven't made any changes in Families vaults that you haven't also kept updated in your Primary vault then you can do just that. But no worries either way: deleting your account from the app doesn't delete your data from the service. You can still access it from the web UI at a minimum.

Thanks!

Ben

• jongilbertme
    jongilbertme
    Community Member

Thank you Ben, that clears it up for me!

Quick question.. .now that you've made a very convincing case on the guest accounts, are they included in the family plan? If not, how much to add?

I don't know how you all keep up with us here asking all these crazy questions, but thanks!!

• Thank you Ben, that clears it up for me!

No worries! Happy to help!

Quick question.. .now that you've made a very convincing case on the guest accounts, are they included in the family plan? If not, how much to add?

Up to 2 guests can be invited included with the base price. Additional guests are charged at the same rate as additional family members ($1/mo/ea).

I don't know how you all keep up with us here asking all these crazy questions, but thanks!!

I love it. :)

Ben

• xairbusdriver
    xairbusdriver
    Community Member

"deleting your account from the app doesn't delete your data from the service. You can still access it from the web UI at a minimum." Done (although I did keep my fingers crossed! LOL!)

Thanks Mr. Woodruff!

Sorry I can't remember the name of the "friend" who got me hooked on 1PW. We were both members at a local Mac Users Group (AppleCore, in the Memphis, TN area). Haven't been there for at least five years and he stopped before that! 8+)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! At this point I think the things I've forgotten outnumber those I remember. That's not always a bad thing. ;)

It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.