Upgrade pricing for v6 users in future

Dianeoforegon
Dianeoforegon
Community Member

Now that 1Password has changed pricing options, I was curious as to future upgrades for long time 1Password users. I have v6 currently. When v7 is released, will our only options be families and the current one-time purchase option with possibly a discount for previous owners?

I sincerely hope that Agilebits will offer the option to buy/upgrade only the desktop Mac app instead of forcing users to purchase options they will never use.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dianeoforegon,

First of all, I want to thank you for your long-time support of 1Password. We really appreciate it!

At this time, I don’t have any details on what the upgrade path for 1Password 7 will look like. I’m not even sure when 1Password 7 will happen! But I can tell you that we are listening to the feedback from users about our new pricing model, and we will do what we can to ensure that existing users are taken care of. Because we think you’re all completely wonderful. <3

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure if 1Password is replacable but if I can't afford it, I will have to find an alternative. Similarly, TextExpander's new version and new pricing model has backfired on them. Users are moving to TypeIt4Me in droves.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Dianeoforegon,

Thanks for your honesty! We would hate to lose you as a user, and we are definitely taking note of the response to TextExpander’s update as we look to 1Password’s future. :)

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

:)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

Your new pricing is costing you users. At least 3-5 x/week, I show 1Password to my clients. The new pricing includes features they are not interested in. They are not willing to pay a subscription or for features they do not want.

I know you have also been watching the TextExpander pricing problems. While they did make changes, they are still priced too high. Not only that they have lost a big portion of their user base. Many have moved on like I have to other apps for our snippets.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Like you, I preferred the old pricing where Mac version and Windows version were separately priced, but with a bundle option.

But so many people complained or were confused that moving to Mac+Windows for the basic pricing made sense. It does put the price up for those who only use Macs, and maybe makes it too expensive for some people.

The subscription model in its present form does not suit me or you, but AgileBits have promised to continue providing the stand-alone version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, while some of us still tend to stick to one platform or another, nowadays most people — either by choice or by vocation :lol: — use both Macs and PCs...or use Windows on their Macs, etc., so we believe it's important that our licensing reflects that.

On a more personal note, while I did feel that the originally announced TextExpander subscription pricing was a bit high, at 50% for existing customers I think it's totally reasonable. I do think, however, that going forward they're targeting businesses more with their subscription service. They know their situation better than any of us do, after all.

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

I love 1Password, but not at the current pricing. You might not know your customer base as well as you think.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Again, we certainly appreciate your feedback about this! It's important to us, so thanks for letting us know how you feel. Just to make sure we understand, when you say the current pricing is too high, are you referring to the recurring subscription fee for a 1Password for Teams or 1Password Families account? Or are you referring to the cost of licenses for the standalone Mac/Windows apps?

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

The cost of the standalone apps is too high. As to subscription pricing, you are close to what users pay for Microsoft Office for one install. Add to that users detest subscriptions. As to the Teams and Families, you might find that not that many will have everyone wanting to use 1Password. In the past even at the old pricing, most of my clients thought it was too high and would wait for 1Password to go on sale to purchase.

When I ran your claim about not sticking to one platform past a friend that works at a university, his reply was...

"This is a ridiculous claim. Not that many people around me use both platforms and while it would make sense to have a pricing allowing users to use the software on all platforms, they should also offer a lower tier for people who only use one…"

Personally, I feel you are after a small percentage of the market ignoring a big base that would pay for 1Password only at a reasonable price. I want to continue using 1Password in the future and hope my comments help you understand that I'm not willing to pay for features I don't want nor will my budget allow for a big increase over the old pricing.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Hi @Dianeoforegon,

Thank you for once again taking the time to share your thoughts with us about our current pricing model. We definitely hear you and appreciate all of our users' feedback on this. We have more to offer now than ever before, with our five standalone apps, Families now available and Teams in beta, with lots more excitement to come as things continue to develop.

We are taking your feedback to heart and will keep it in mind as we move forward, just as we thoroughly consider all the varied feedback we receive, including thousands of very happy and excited Families and Teams users, and many users who have been asking for an individual account option. It is a time of changes, and we continue to strive to do what's right for as many of our users as possible while also remaining sustainable so that we can keep making awesome password management solutions for you all. ❤

Thanks again!

• Dianeoforegon
    Dianeoforegon
    Community Member

After your reply I know now to start looking for a replacement app.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2016

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way, @Dianeoforegon, but we have to price our offerings such that AgileBits can remain a sustainable company for a long time to come.

We understand that unfortunately that does mean not everyone will be able to use 1Password, and that makes us sad. But it is also important to us that we continue to be able to provide the level of quality in both software and customer service that customers have come to expect.

We didn't put "Agile" in the name of the company for no reason -- we're taking in all of the feedback we're receiving, both negative and positive, and will continue to iterate as we move forward.

:)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.