How do I get my vault logins from my computer to my account on the 1 password website?

davidvignola
davidvignola
Community Member

I signed up for the 1password version 6 family monthly subscription so I can have all my password on 4 different computers. I created a profile on the 1 password website and it shows that I have 0 logins in my vault. My question is, how do I get all my logins from the 1password app on my mac to the online profile I created? I am not sure why I would need this, but I assume its for having access to all my login data regardless of the computer I am using?

Can someone clarify please? I am the only user and I have 4 mac computers. I have password being synced via dropbox and that seems to work pretty well so why do you need an account and a profile on the 1password website?

Thank you in advance

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @davidvignola,

I think I can help you with this.

Basically 1Password Families is a new sync service hosted by AgileBits (but it does much more than that). So since you signed up for it, and created an account, you have a few vaults now that are on the 1Password website (instead of the agilekeychain/opvault file in your DropBox).

So essentially you would want to configure your Families account on all of your Macs. From there you can then move your items from your Personal Vault over to your Families vault. From there you can remove the items from your Dropbox synced Personal vault and remove the file from your Dropbox.

If you want to learn more about 1Password for Families you can check out this page.

• davidvignola
    davidvignola
    Community Member

Thanks for the info but I still am having a problem. I did configure my families account and it show me as the account admin but I have no logins in my vault. I don't see where you import my logins from my vault on my mac to the families vault. They don't make this easy do they? The site is not very clear thats for sure.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @davidvignola,

I wonder if this page, Migrate to a Family or Team account is more what you're looking for. You've already created your account so it seems you would be starting at the Set up the apps and import your data step. Basically you add your account to the Mac with the existing data and then you can move all of your items from the local vault on the Mac to the vault in your account. When you do this any other copy of 1Password that is already linked to your account will then instantly see all the moved items.

All of this has to happen in a copy of the 1Password application though, a copy that has both the local vault already attached and then the Families account added afterwards. What the guide doesn't mention is what to do afterwards. Once you've either copied or moved all of your items you won't want to keep the local vault, you'll want to exclusively use the Families vaults. This is an area we're improving in the application but for now what you need to do is follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide and then when you next start up 1Password you would point it directly to your Families account. Before doing so you would of course want to ensure you had all of your account credentials at hand. The emergency PDF with the QR code should help for example.

Certain elements are still undergoing so much change that the documentation team are working overtime to keep up. If you're still finding it a maze to navigate through please do say.

• naheller
    naheller
    Community Member

How does one do this with a non-Team/Families account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@naheller: Sorry for the confusion! 1Password.com is the subscription service (1Password Families, Teams, and individual plans). This is where their data is stored. It is not possible to have one without the other.

This discussion has been closed.