Sharing 1 item by mail

Videohenk
Videohenk
Community Member

I remember one could share by sending a email with code.
Now I only see airdrop and print not email?

1Password Version: 620012
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:share, kb:share-vault

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Videohenk there's a helpful thread here in the 1Password for Mac Beta forum explaining why some of the share options were removed.

Stephen

• Videohenk
    Videohenk
    Community Member

Thank you Stephan for the thread.
    You are right:
    Individual item sharing over insecure and unauthenticated channels does not meet our current security standards also.
    We think the solution for us is the join family sharing.
    :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Videohenk,

Use of either a shared standalone vault in an existing copy of 1Password for Mac/iOS or in 1Password Families would achieve your goal I believe. It would also allow you to ensure those that requires access to the Login item are all using an up to date one by having this one copy be the only copy. That way if you needed to update the password you update the Login item in the shared vault and everybody can see the updated item as soon as they connect either to the OPVault in Dropbox or to our server in the case of 1Password Families.

If you have any questions about either approach or if I've misunderstood anything please let us know :smile:

• mhbx
    mhbx
    Community Member

Stephen.,

you are wrong... while perhaps right overall w some absolute security concerns, ?? But if that is the case, you should have a flag that lowers the level and puts the responsibility on the owner... In my case administrator.

I maintain pswds for clients and then , when a system or something is complete, I used to simply email them the password record... or message...
    no big deal.
    and no security risk ... ever... done it tons of times.
    (and have sold tons of 1P as a result.. I make everyone get it...)

What you have done is unnecessary... I don't need nor wish to create multiple family password files ... just to do this function.

I don't want to share a vault... I simply want to send the code in an email so someone else, who I don't wish to share vaults with can have it without me having to go through the process of creating it from scratch.

What am I missing?

ps. very irritating..

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@mhbx you may not agree with the justification however:

Stephen.,

you are wrong...

does itself justify this small response. I'm merely a volunteer here and am not employed by AgileBits. As I was merely pointing you to a thread discussing the issue, and the link was correct, I don't consider it my comment was "wrong". :)

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mhbx,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here! I’m sorry that you’re missing the feature. It looks like you’re also discussing this subject in the thread that Stephen linked to, so I won’t bother reiterating what’s been said there.

And @Stephen_C , thanks for always being available to help out here in the forums - it’s greatly appreciated! :)

• bbrink
    bbrink
    Community Member

But Pinterest, Facebook messenger, and other garbage apps are allowed??? Bull.

• Jacob
    edited May 2016

@bbrink It sounds like you're referring to 1Password for iOS, in which case actually, they're not allowed. Those are Activities in the Share Sheet. Try using one of them with any 1Password item and you'll see that nothing happens. They're a standard piece in iOS that you'll see whenever you use a Share Sheet, but 1Password doesn't give them any data if you tap one. You can configure what displays, though. You can learn a bit more about this in MrRooni's, one of our iOS developers, post here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/300079/#Comment_300079

This discussion has been closed.