Why is unlocking hesitating? 1Password is slow to unlock.

Hal S.
Hal S.
Community Member

Upgraded to the latest version of 1Password. Now, it's slow to unlock; almost hesitating before unlocking. It's enough for me to notice as it never hesitated like this before.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
/Hal

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/, kb-search:unlock slow

Comments

• rswc90
    rswc90
    Community Member

Mine is doing the same thing -- it lags anywhere from 3 to 7 seconds before opening. Although I am sorry you are having the same issue, I must say, I feel relieved! that it's not just me! I can to the site to find the answer. I hope someone can tell us what's up.

• Hal S.
    Hal S.
    Community Member

I'm not sure it's a huge deal, just a slight annoyance. I'm sure that there is an equally annoying solution. Just making the problem known.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Hal S. and @rswc90,

Can you both verify something for me please.

Open 1Password and use the menu option Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini

Your vault will lock as we've quit the previous instance of 1Password mini and launched a fresh copy. Does 1Password show the same sluggish behaviour if you do this?

If you leave 1Password running for a while does the issue return?

• rswc90
    rswc90
    Community Member

After doing the restart and the upgrade, it seems to hang less (counted to 2.5 rather than 7) before it opened! Thanks...

• Hal S.
    Hal S.
    Community Member

Mine is opening immediately now - just like before. I think that worked.
    Thanks!

• Jaaaaaaaamie
    Jaaaaaaaamie
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

I have had this issue for a while now. Restarting usually fixes, but it inevitably comes back.

I had the '1Password has found another version..." issue recently, so completely nuked my installation and started again. Within a week the slow unlock was back. I agree it's only 3-7 seconds delay, but having that constantly throughout the day gets annoying.

OSX 10.11.4
    1Pass 6.2 (Appstore Version)

• Hal S.
    Hal S.
    Community Member

Definite bug.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Hal S. & @rswc90,

So we had a couple of performance related bugs in 6.1. I know we think we'd resolved one and that possible fix is in 6.2 and we're still struggling to pin down the second. What we really need now though is help from users willing to try the beta version of 1Password for Mac to help us get some decent diagnostic reports to help the developers pin things down.

To minimise the disruption it's better if you're an AgileBits Store customer as moving backwards and forwards between the stable and beta version will be easier than if somebody is a Mac App Store customer.

Are either of you running the AgileBits Store version of 1Password (you would have purchased and downloaded 1Password from our site) and would either of you be willing to try the beta out and help us pin this annoying issue down. I know the developers would be grateful to anybody willing to help out here :smile:

• rswc90
    rswc90
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

I 'believe' I got this from you folks rather than from Apple. Is there a way to tell?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@rswc90:

I 'believe' I got this from you folks rather than from Apple. Is there a way to tell?

Go to 1Password > About 1Password.

Stephen

• rswc90
    rswc90
    Community Member

yes -- mine is from Agilebits store

• Jaaaaaaaamie
    Jaaaaaaaamie
    Community Member

I have licenses for both App Store and Agilebits Store, I'm loyal like that, so have moved back to the Agilebits store version to help with beta testing.

This the latest beta?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Jaaaaaaaamie:

This the latest beta?

Yes.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Jaaaaaaaamie,

I purposely didn't mention you in my message because I didn't want to put anybody through any hoops unless they're willing. The fact that you use both and are happy to help us is fantastic!

As you're already on the beta here is our current request. We do update the beta on a regular basis and updating to a newer beta will cause the issue to potentially not return. The reason is it creeps in over time and we know restarting 1Password mini gets around the issue. Of course updating to a new version necessities the restarting if 1Password mini so to help us out can you now not update 1Password but instead keep running BETA-4 of 1Password for Mac until the issue returns. Once it has can you send us a diagnostic report after having suffered the issue in BETA-4 and our developers are hoping the additional logging present in the beta will give them some clues.

I just want to say a big thanks here. I know our developers have been frustrated by this hence the additional logging in the beta. They really want to pin this one down and get it resolved and your assistance could be the key so thank you :smile:

@rswc90: If you're interested in helping out that's fantastic. Moving from the stable version to the beta version isn't too bad as long as you're running the AgileBits Store version.

1. Launch 1Password and enter 1Password's preferences.
    2. Switch to the Updates tab.
    3. Tick the checkbox titled Include beta builds and then click the button titled Check Now.
    4. Follow the prompts offered up by 1Password.

You will now be running the latest beta of 1Password for Mac. As I said above, to help it would be great if you can continue to run this version of the beta and ignore prompts by 1Password to update to a newer version of the beta given the issue only rears its ugly head over time.

When you're fully experiencing the issue again can you create a diagnostic report please,this guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

Very Important!!

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two. This is more important then normal because it will help us realise your diagnostic reports are ones we want to get to the developers for analyse.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. We're very grateful for your assistance :smile:

• Jaaaaaaaamie
    Jaaaaaaaamie
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables

No probs. Glad to help out. Will turn off the update prompts, and report back when go-slow mode becomes enabled 8-)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

go-slow mode

You almost make it sound like a feature! :lol:

• Jaaaaaaaamie
    Jaaaaaaaamie
    Community Member

Change log -

V6.3

New Feature: Go-Slow Mode. Ever feel that the world is moving too fast? We here at Agilebits agree, and after hundreds of man hours are proud to announce Go-Slow Mode. After a set period of time, which even we don't know how long it'll be, our incredibly complex algorithm will make 1Password take a bit longer to unlock. This is 100% intentional. Use these extra seconds to blink, wave to a loved one, or just bash your head on the desk at the Zen like state you're achieving while waiting to login to Amazon. Please, there is no need to thank us. Enjoy the gift of time.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jaaaaaaaamie,

Well, that’s one way to put a positive spin on things! Keep being awesome.

• Jaaaaaaaamie
    Jaaaaaaaamie
    Community Member

Report submitted.

Ticket ID: [#PMX-62264-623]

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jaaaaaaaamie ,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I see that someone from our support team has already responded - please let us know if you do not see an email in your inbox. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: PMX-62264-623

• Jaaaaaaaamie
    Jaaaaaaaamie
    Community Member

Fair enough, I only replied in here as I was instructed to.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. We're very grateful for your assistance :smile:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jaaaaaaaamie ,

No worries, just closing the loop on our end so that we know you’re being taken care of. ;)

Hi @ultrajko,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re running into this! As is mentioned earlier in the thread, our developers are looking into this - we know it’s a frustrating bug, and we’re doing all we can to have it resolved as soon as possible.

We have found that making sure you restart 1Password every few days does help to mitigate this, so I hope that it helps you as well.

This discussion has been closed.