Launchbar, Chrome and Go and Fill Problems

mmbrook
mmbrook
Community Member

I have an interesting problem that I can't figure out. I use Launchbar to launch Go and Fill logins in 1password. It all worked very well in Safari, launching the page, filling in and submitting the password. I recently switched to chrome for other reasons, but this feature no longer seems to work. When I activate these from Launchbar it launches the page, but doesn't fill the password. However, when I launch them using the 1Password mini it all works fine. Using the latest beta of 1password, Launchbar 6.6 and Yosemite. I have submitted this to Launchbar support as well. Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3 beta 4
Extension Version: 4.5.6.4
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Greetings @mmbrook,

So just to make sure I fully understand. You've got both Safari and Chrome set up so that if you interact with 1Password in the more traditional way e.g. via the extension icon or say ⌘\ that works and it's literally only if you use Launchbar to pass the open and fill specific URL to Chrome that things fail while the very same action in Safari works?

I'm not a Launchbar user myself hence wanting to make sure I understand.

• mmbrook
    mmbrook
    Community Member

Yes that is correct. I"m suspicious its something with Launchbar, but figured I would go to both forums. Love Launchbar and don't want to give it up. If I set default browser to Safari and use Launchbar it works well, but Safari has ongoing problems with pausing mid-load that chrome does not.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Hi @mmbrook,

LaunchBar user here, and happy to help you figure out why its 1Password Go & Fill feature isn't working properly with Chrome. In case it matters, can you confirm which version of OS X you're using? From your first post:

Using the latest beta of 1password, Launchbar 6.6 and Yosemite.

Later in the version section:

OS Version: 10.11.3

I'm guessing the version number is correct and you meant El Capitan rather than Yosemite? :)

Moving on to the issue …

When I activate these from Launchbar it launches the page, but doesn't fill the password.

Does that happen even when Chrome is already running?

When Chrome isn't running, Go & Fill usage through LaunchBar will trigger Chrome to open, open the page, but the filling will fail. At that point you'll probably see the page URL with ?onepasswdfill=item-UUID appended to it in the address bar, similar to:

Does any of this help explain the misbehavior you're having? If something else is going on we'll keeping digging to find the cause. Thanks!

• mmbrook
    mmbrook
    Community Member

Thanks very much. Yes you are right. I meant El Capitan, not Yosemite. For the most part you are correct. If Chrome is running the majority (not all) work correctly. However, when it isn't running it doesn't work. Sometimes I get that ?onepassword piece, sometimes not. There are a few that don't work at all, but they have internal redirects and I suspect that is creating a problem for Chrome, though interestingly not Safari.

• Thanks @mmbrook. We're still investigating this and we'll get back to you soon. :)

• mmbrook
    mmbrook
    Community Member

Thanks. I have new info as well. It clearly is either related to Chrome specifically or to 1password. I tried doing the same thing using Alfred to launch the go and fill and it has the same issue. It opens Chrome and the web page but doesn't fill the password. If Chrome is running it works correctly.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mmbrook,

Your results with Alfred match mine (same as with LaunchBar); thanks for that testing and confirmation. I've also been able to replicate this problem with Firefox, and in new ways that don't use LaunchBar or Alfred so at least we now know they're not at fault. It looks like something is initially preventing communication between the browser and 1Password that's necessary for filling after opening the browser and page. The full Go & Fill URL is available, visible in the address bar, but 1Password isn't processing it.

We're still working on isolating what's causing this and will fill you in (please excuse the pun) with more details when we have them. Thanks again for your reports and help!

• mmbrook
    mmbrook
    Community Member

Thanks so much. Can't live without 1password and the great support.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mmbrook,

I’m so glad to see that sjk was able to confirm what you were seeing. We appreciate your patience as we work to find a solution. :)

This discussion has been closed.