Moving to families, but keeping old dropbox copy safe

kenriise
kenriise
Community Member

Hi. I've joined families and set me and my wife up. I've been happily using dropbox to share, but like the idea of supporting 1Password and also trusting in added family features in the future.

Before I transfer all our items to the family vaults, I want to be sure my dropbox copies are safe in case I ever need to roll back (or if there is a 1P sync problem)

I know I can copy (rather than move) items and leave them in our dropbox vaults, BUT I want to be reassured that when I delete the old vaults from inside 1password that it doesn't delete the dropbox folder either.

Is this the case? Any tips on making sure I have a rollback path gratefully received.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I know I can copy (rather than move) items and leave them in our dropbox vaults, BUT I want to be reassured that when I delete the old vaults from inside 1password that it doesn't delete the dropbox folder either.

@kenriise: Great question! In fact, if you disable Dropbox Sync for the vault in 1Password Preferences > Sync (go ahead, do it!) you'll be asked if you want to delete the vault. If you choose not to, it will remain there in your Dropbox account for Future You (or future generations of Future Yous), even if you remove the vault from the 1Password app.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kenriise
    kenriise
    Community Member

Thanks. I took the leap and did it. I have now moved the files to my family vault so the old Primary vault is not needed. A few things:
    1. I can't delete or hide the Primary vault, right?
    2. Feedback - it's a bit unsightly to have old attachments converted to files and appear at the top of my preferred 'most recent' view
    3. On iOS, is it possible to hide items in the old Primary from All Vaults view? If not, then I guess I have to manually delete those items from my (now unsynced) iOS primary vault? Is there a man way to do that? I have c. 1,000 items in there

• Hi @kenriise

1. I can't delete or hide the Primary vault, right?

You can (on Mac), but at the moment it is a bit of a process. You'd need to start over, and then sign into your Family account.

We currently have the same ability in beta on iOS, so that should be coming soon if all goes well.

1. Feedback - it's a bit unsightly to have old attachments converted to files and appear at the top of my preferred 'most recent' view

Thanks for the feedback!

1. On iOS, is it possible to hide items in the old Primary from All Vaults view? If not, then I guess I have to manually delete those items from my (now unsynced) iOS primary vault? Is there a man way to do that? I have c. 1,000 items in there

Hopefully this'll be a moot point soon (see #1) as we'll have "Families-only" mode, but in the mean time you can set which vaults appear in "All Vaults" in 1Password under Settings > Vaults > All Vaults.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.