How do I uninstall 1password6 from MAC deleting local data and keeping data sync'd to iCloud,

notarimb
notarimb
Community Member

I want to remove all local presence of 1Password and then reinstall and import from iCloud data (so I want to make sure the deletion of 1Password does not remove the data in the cloud).

All The Very Best!!
Mike :-)

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:extension-troubleshooting, kb:forgot-master-password, kb:master-password-not-accepted, kb:keyboard-shortcuts, kb:uninstall-1password

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@notarimb this knowledge base article will help you:

How do I start over with an empty vault?

Please read the article carefully to make sure that's really what you want to do—and note that the instructions differ depending on whether you're using the Mac App Store version of 1P or the AgileBits store version. Note that the article to which I've linked states specifically:

Any data you have synced to Dropbox or iCloud will be kept safe (unless you specifically choose to delete it).

Stephen

• notarimb
    notarimb
    Community Member

Thank You, found the article, in further trouble now...

Seems like every time I ask my MAC to sync with iCloud, it finds a vault from 1969 and it overrides (deletes data from my MAC when syncing).

This happened even after I deleted the 1Password files in iCloud from my phone.

I am trying to make my iPhone sync to iCloud (which I can do) and have that download / sync with an empty vault on my MAC....

Appreciate any help!

All The Very Best!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Mike ( @notarimb ),

I’m glad to see we’re getting closer to a solution for you! Here are some basic things to check when troubleshooting iCloud sync. If none of those tips work, we’ll likely need to see Diagnostics Reports to better determine where things are getting tangled up.

• notarimb
    notarimb
    Community Member

Hello Megan!

The issue seems to be I am unable to make the vault my iPhone syncs to iCloud be the source of truth for the mac.

When I try to enable iCloud sync on my mac, it sees an old vault found in iCloud dated December 31st , 1969. If I select this it wipes out all entries that were on my mac as well as my iPhone.

I tried deleting the iCloud date from my iPhone, but still have the same issue described above.

I am looking to understand how to get rid of the December 31, 1969 vault and allow / enable my iPhone vault to be synced to iCloud (which I can do), but then have the MAC sync use that data as the master. What happens currently is it reports the vault is from December 31, 1969 and then deletes all items in the vault from my iPhone.

Is it possible to talk to someone to work through this?

All The Very Best!!

• Hi @notarimb,

I have a fairly easy set of instructions for you which I will place below. If you still need to assistance after this, please let us know and we can contact you for more direct assistance.

If your iPhone currently has all of your 1Password data that you wish to keep, do the following:

1. Go to Settings -> Advanced and tap "Create Backup" (just in case)
    2. Again, in Settings -> Advanced, tap "Erase iCloud Data" - this should erase all iCloud files from 1Password.
    3. Go to Settings -> Sync and re-enable iCloud sync. This time it should just offer to sync, and not claim there is an old vault there. If it does, try this: open the Settings app on your iPhone, and tap iCloud, then "Manage Storage". Look for 1Password in the list, and tap it. Then click Edit and delete the iCloud data there.
    4. Try to set up sync in 1Password again. This time it should just offer to sync.

Once it has done that, follow the instructions here to start over on your Mac.

This time, when setting up iCloud on your Mac, it should let you continue sync.

And again, if these instructions do not work for you and you need more direct assistance, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• notarimb
    notarimb
    Community Member

Appreciate the information, been there and done that a few times now ;-)

Working with support and provided them with diagnostics from MAC and iPhone.

The issue is my data is on my iPhone and I can sync with iCloud, but when I go to add my MAC to sync to iCloud, it sees an old Vault from December 31, 1969 which is empty. It does not honor the fact that my iPhone has already sync'd to iCloud and the data is newer, rather it deletes everything on my iPhone and the MAC has nothing in it as well.

I have tried deleting the iCloud 1Password files / data and resenting my iPhone, then MAC, but the cycle repeats.

All The Very Best!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @notarimb,

Can I ask, if you're working with us via email do you have a ticket ID? What I don't want to do is have us treading on each others toes and potentially asking you to duplicate certain actions (thus wasting your time) or pull you in different directions as the quickest path to a resolution will likely be from a single troubleshooting thread where they know what you've tried, what hasn't worked etc. without us having asked you to do something and accidentally throwing a spanner in the works as a result.

• notarimb
    notarimb
    Community Member

Yes, I support has a ticket open with me now, I sent them diagnostics last night and waiting to hear back.

Thank You!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@notarimb: As lil bobby mentioned, there don't seem to be any messages from this address. Please post the Support ID you received so we can track down the message and get back to you sooner. Thanks in advance! :)

• notarimb
    notarimb
    Community Member

Subject of the email I sent is: Re: [#ZGB-11731-657] I'm having trouble syncing with iCloud

Sent email to: support@agilebits.com

Sent 4/12/16 at 1:40 AM EDT

Let me know if you need anything else?

Thank You!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Mike ( @notarimb ),

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I see that someone from our support team has already responded - please let us know if you do not see an email in your inbox. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: ZGB-11731-657

This discussion has been closed.