Offline Access on android

Options
chadn
chadn
Community Member

I currently use 1password for Android 6.2.1 (latest) with agilekeychain stored in dropbox, and we have other 1password apps reading or updating via dropbox. I love and that I still have access to vault data on Android when not connected to internet - this is important because we also use 1password for combination lockers, alarm codes, etc.

We'd like to switch to 1password for families (or teams), but I want to make sure I would still have offline access on android - I can't seem to find answer. Specifically, if there was access, what type of access - read one or multiple vaults? edit? Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-families-setup, kb:switch-to-opvault, kb:teams-families-setup, kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• chadn
    chadn
    Community Member
    Options

More general question - is there a feature availability matrix anywhere? Something that says which features (read one vault, read multiple vaults, edit vaults, offline read, offline edit, etc) are available on which apps/clients (android app, ios app, mac app, windows app, browser)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

More general question - is there a feature availability matrix anywhere? Something that says which features (read one vault, read multiple vaults, edit vaults, offline read, offline edit, etc) are available on which apps/clients (android app, ios app, mac app, windows app, browser)

@chadn: There is not, but in general all platforms are the same, with a few exceptions. 1Password for Android, for example, goes into read-only mode after the trial period unless you do the in-app purchase.

Otherwise, whether you're using 1Password Families or "local" vaults, your data can be edited in the apps. The exception there is that Windows 7 and 8 do not yet have 1Password Families support, and the Windows 10 app (currently in beta) can only read data from the "local" vault formats so far.

Multiple vaults are supported in all versions, except that 1Password for Android can only access more than one vault if they're stored in a 1Password Famous account.

Regarding your original question, the only exception for data availability for 1Password Families/Teams is that Documents are not automatically downloaded and stored on each device. 1Password for Android also does not yet support Documents, but for storage, speed, and bandwidth consideration, Documents need to be downloaded individually.

Other than that, logging into your 1Password Account on a device automatically populates all the vaults you have access to.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• chadn
    chadn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that helps! I did sign up for 1password for families. However, migrating vault data is not easy. After more digging, mostly on https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/mac.html, here's notes on transfering old vaults to families/teams.

• ios - can only copy one at a time from old vault to familes/teams
    • android - can't copy
    • mac - teams/familes only supported on OSX 10.10 or newer
    • windows - teams/families only supported on windows 10

For us, we mostly edit using mac app. And since we don't have 10.10 or newer, we can't use new app that supports teams/familes on our mac, so we'll stick with old dropbox for now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chadn: Ah, good to know. Thanks for clarifying. Since you asked about features, I didn't think to list migration options — especially since we'll be adding it to all versions going forward.

Indeed, 1Password Teams/Families won't be coming to old versions of iOS and OS X, but given the large percentage of people stuck on old versions of Android (5) and Windows (7) we're committed to getting it working there.

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password Teams/Families doesn't work with your setup, but Dropbox is a great option, since it's been around for a long time and is supported in nearly all versions of 1Password (except the very oldest) across all platforms. :)

This discussion has been closed.