Been using 1Password for families for a week and love it but have several quick questions.

crbs
crbs
Community Member

I’ve owned 1password for several years, but never really used it. However, with the new Family feature I’m really excited to use it with my wife. I’ve used it for a week and so far so good, but I do have a few quick questions before sending an invite to her:

1) The iOS app on my iPhone mentions the word ‘team’ quite a bit. For instance, under ‘settings’ it says ‘1Password for teams’ and it list my account. It doesn’t say family. I’m just making sure I’m using the right app. I’m almost positive teams and families use the same app. But the fact that in the app it says my account is under 1password for teams and not families makes me want to make sure I didn’t so something wrong.

2) Is there anyway to move an entry from one vault to another after created. I accidentally put an account I wanted shared under my personal account. I tried to find a setting to move it to the shared account, but couldn’t find one. Is there a way to accomplish that? I ended up just deleted the entry and creating a new one under the shared vault.

3) If an entry is in the shared vault, does that mean everyone that is a part of that vault can edit the entry, and delete it?

4) Under types of categories most make sense to me. However Login and Password seem so similar to me. What is the basic difference? When should one be used rather than the other?

After a week I believe that’s all the questions I have (other than how to get rid of the ‘primary’ vault on my iPhone which I found answered earlier). Thanks for any help and I love your service!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    1. They might update the language in future versions as they have been changing it in a lot of places.
    2. You should be able to copy/move from the iOS app and Mac Desktop program.
    3. The shared vault is for everyone. If something is put in it every family member can see/edit it.
    4. Login includes the username but password doesn't.
  • Hi @crbs,

I hope Scuba629's answers were helpful. Thanks for chiming in, Scuba629!

I just have a couple of points to add:

1. 1Password for Families is built on the 1Password for Teams infrastructure. Teams is the longer standing offering and as such many places still refer to it exclusively. We're working on more consistent wording within the apps, and it is likely that many references to 1Password for Teams will be replaced with "1Password account."
    2. Yes -- in the client apps. Not on the web, yet. Hopefully we'll be able to do this with the web interface in a future iteration.
    3. It is possible to create additional shared vaults where only read-only access is granted, but by default everyone has full access to the "Shared" vault.
    4. "Passwords" are where passwords generated by the Password Generator are stored if they are not saved into a Login item. You'll want to use Logins. Passwords are mostly just there as a fallback. Logins can be filled into websites by our browser extensions.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• crbs
    crbs
    Community Member

Thanks both of you! All questions answered :)

• You're most welcome, @crbs. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.