Switching from iCloud to Families

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

I´m sorry if someone else asked before but I didn´t find any hints about that:

How to switch from iCloud if I have only the iOS apps?
I understand that If you have 1Password Mac you can move the items from the primary vault to the the families vault. But is that also possible with the iOS apps?

Regards
Andy

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @andycz,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Do you have a Mac that you could use for the purpose? It is possible with the iOS app, but it is currently a very manual process. If you had a Mac you could use, even if only temporarily, that would certainly be a smoother experience.

As it stands right now, with iOS, each item would need to be moved separately from the current vault to a family vault. This is certainly something we'd like to improve upon in the future, but it isn't available today.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @bwoodruff,
    thanks for the fast reply. My little migration project is as follows:
    Wife: Using 1Password only on iOS with iCloud sync
    Me: Using 1Password on iOS AND Mac with iCloud sync.

Me: Easy going.
    Wife´s data: How to bring to my Mac? (the rest is easy going)

• @andycz,

Great! That actually shouldn't be too difficult.

If your wife does not already have a separate user account on the Mac, create one for her (even if only temporary):

OS X Yosemite: Set up users on your Mac

(Apple wrote these instructions for Yosemite but at a quick glance they look as though they should be the same for El Cap)

Then have her set up iCloud syncing for 1Password within her user account on the Mac:

Sync existing iCloud data | 1Password 6 for Mac

Once you've got the data, you can migrate it to Families:

(Mac) Migrate to a Family or Team account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@bwoodruff
    Alright, seems to be a nice solution.
    Thanks!

• You're most welcome. :) Please let us know how it turns out!

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@bwoodruff Everything went fine! I was able to migrate all of our data to 1PW for Families.
    One last question: I deleted the iCloud data and the IOS apps and reinstalled the iOS apps. After signing in to 1Password for Families there is also a primary vault. Is it possible to get rid of this vault?

• Excellent! I'm glad to hear that worked out.

At the moment the Primary vault is necessary but hopefully after the next update if you uninstall/reinstall the iOS app & sign into your 1Password account, the Primary vault will not be created ("Teams/Families-only mode").

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.