Can I have items in more than one Vault?

Options
asiefke
asiefke
Community Member

My husband and I need access to everything. I did the set up and have access to "personal". I set up anther vault called "parental units" and COPIED everything over. Do I have duplicated now? If I change a password, does it change it everywhere?

When sharing, can someone please explain the MOVE and COPY and why you would choose one over the other?

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:item in more than one vault

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @asiefke,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

The "Personal" vault is just that -- personal. No one else will ever have access to the contents. As such if you want to share everything with your husband, you won't want to store any items in that vault. You may want to change your "vault for saving" to the new "parental units" vault that you've created:

Do I have duplicated now?

Yep. :) You'll probably want to delete them from the Personal vault after you've verified everything has copied over correctly. At the moment Documents cannot be copied between vaults, so if you have any (which may have been created when importing any attachments) you'll want to move those over manually.

If I change a password, does it change it everywhere?

No. When you copy an item the two copies are totally independent of each other. This can be useful in some cases, but it doesn't sound like the option you want. It sounds like you want "move" instead. Which leads nicely into your next question:

When sharing, can someone please explain the MOVE and COPY and why you would choose one over the other?

Copy creates a duplicate of an item. Move takes it from its original spot and places it in the new spot. If you don't want two separate items, you probably want move. If you want to retain a copy of the item in the original location, then copy is what you want.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. Thanks!

Ben

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

@ben .. question on Move .. I did a bunch of these last night and noticed it acts more like a Copy then Delete. Each Item I moved I found in the Trash of the origin vault. Is this correct?

• Ben
    Options

That is exactly what it is, yes. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.