can i still share a single 1Password entry via email

janetbean
janetbean
Community Member

I use to be able to share a single entry via an encrypted email. Did that change?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/, ug:mac/share-a-vault, kb:sync-options

Comments

• RMKCO
    RMKCO
    Community Member

Recently, I could ask 1Pass to share an item by emailing it to my wife. She got the email, and clicked on the link to import the item. Today, I found the only way to share items is with AirDrop or print. Where is the email share?

1Password Version: 6.2
    Extension Version: 4.5.5
    OS Version: 10.11.3
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:what happened to sharing an item with email?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@janetbean there's a helpful thread here in the 1Password for Mac Beta forum explaining why some of the share options were removed.

Stephen

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@RMKCO I've merged your post in another thread where I've just answered the same question.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, email is not encrypted, and we've recently removed sharing options that were insecure by default. You can, however, share a vault though using 1Password Families or Dropbox Sync, which are both end-to-end encrypted, and only need to be setup once (as opposed to sending additional copies via email any time the item is changed).

• teancom
    teancom
    Community Member

I'd like to join in the chorus of people who did email sharing The Right Way™ (over S/MIME encrypted email only on email servers under their control) and for whom any sort of solution that involves storing their passwords "in the cloud" (regardless of how much encryption is layered on top of it) is not an option. If AgileBits is going to offer an on-premise version of the 'teams' server, then we could talk about that, but otherwise we're back to manually copy/pasting usernames and passwords into encrypted emails, and losing the history (which, along with the ease of use, is the other thing we loved about sharing items). It would be awesome if turning email sharing back on was something that we could do via a defaults write command. Maybe 'defaults write com.agilebits.1password i_know_what_im_doing probablytrue' ? :-)

P.S. I'm actually a Family user for my personal vaults, and have no problem paying the $5/month. Happy to do it for a good service. But at work, this is a complete non-starter.

• Hi @teancom ,

While we took the share option away, you can still export the item to a 1pif file and email the 1pif file. I realize this is less convenient than the share menu, it is certainly better than copying/pasting. While you use S/MIME and others use PGP we can not guarantee all of our customers encrypt their email so we do not want our users to be able to easily send items that could be sent insecurely.

I will pass on your suggestion about a defaults command. Also know that this doesn't necessarily mean the feature will never return. We just want to first make sure that users are secure when using it.

Regards,
    Kevin

• teancom
    teancom
    Community Member

I'll look again when I get back to my desk, but for me the File->Export option was greyed out completely when I had items selected. Is there any hoops to jump through to export single items as 1pif files?

• rudy
    edited April 2016

Hi @teancom,

Were you trying to export an item from a Families or Teams vault? its possible you don't have permission to export. If that's the case, you would have to get your admin to give you that permission.

if you're just working with local vaults, then you should be able to select the item, export -> selected items… and it should let you just export those specific items.

Let us know if neither of these are the case, because it would definitely be a bug.

Rudy

• teancom
    teancom
    Community Member

Ah, so I'm able to reproduce. The bug is that if 'All Vaults' is selected, I'm unable to export anything. If I select a single vault (Primary, local secondary vaults, a vault shared over Dropbox, or a shared vault from my Family plan) I can export as per usual. To be clear, none of the vaults that I have (all seven!) are restricted in terms of exporting, so it doesn't appear to be a restriction 'bubbling up' from one to all. If it matters for the reproduction of the bug, two of the Family vaults are empty at this time. Actually, that's easy enough to test. adds two test passwords Nope, empty vault or not, it remains.

That I can (easily) work around this is good - we'll start exporting to .1pif and sending that via encrypted S/MIME emails. Thank you for the suggestion!

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @teancom,

Glad that you got things working :chuffed:

Yes indeed export is disabled in All Vaults.

This was intentional, and while it might eventually be enabled it might have been for a good reason. For example you might export all the items out of All Vaults without realizing that to re-import them would not maintain the multi-vault structure of what was there originally. 1pif does not support that kind of structure and importing from it just imports to the current vault. We don't want users doing this and then having to sort through their items.

• teancom
    teancom
    Community Member

Wouldn't that mean that having "export all items" would be disabled, not "export selected items"?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@teancom: It's a bit more complex than that, since each vault is encrypted separately, but you're right that it would be much more user-friendly to have at least the option to export individual items (though that may in and of itself cause similar confusion of "Why can't I export all?"). Thanks for the feedback on this. We'll keep working to improve it! :)

This discussion has been closed.