Minor, but consistent: 1Password always fails to start first time after update

goatter
goatter
Community Member

This is very minor, but a consistent bug for me: after every update (from App store) of 1Password for Mac, 1Password always fails to start the first time because it cannot connect to 1Password Mini. After its attempt times out and I quit and restart 1Password, it works fine, and it'll be fine until the next update. I can't remember how long this has been going on, but for quite a while. Just wanted to mention it.

While I'm sharing, I've run into one other gotcha with 1Password and 2-factor authentication (2FA). I switched from Google Authenticator to 1Password for 2FA for a bunch of sites (1Password is so much nicer!), and used my iPhone to scan the QR codes the sites presented while viewing them on my Mac. A lot of sites then give you recovery codes in case you lose your phone, and I put these into 1Password on my Mac. And that's where I got into a bit of a trouble: because I sync over Dropbox, and the settings for those websites had been modified on both the mobile (adding 2FA) and the desktop (adding recovery codes), the sync had problems. Both sides claimed they had synced, and I could see the recovery codes note on mobile, but the 2FA never showed up on the Desktop. Upon further investigation, on mobile I noticed that the recovery codes note actually had two sets of codes, my old ones from when I activated 2FA from Google Authenticator (and saved the recovery codes in 1Password) and the new ones from switching the 2FA to 1Password (separated by some dashes: ============). When I edited that note on mobile and fixed them, that seemed to clear the way for the dropbox syncing to fully work and the 2FA showed up on my desktop. In hindsight, I can see that simultaneously editing the same site on both mobile and Mac was a bad idea, but it seems like a very natural thing to do when signing up for 2FA since you want to scan those QR codes, so wanted to mention it.

I love 1Password! Thanks for the great app and the continued improvement :-)

goatter

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @goatter,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in!

1Password always fails to start the first time because it cannot connect to 1Password Mini.

I’ve seen it a few times on my less used computer at home, so you’re certainly not alone. Our developers are currently investigating this issue, and we’ll do what we can to get it resolved soon. I’ll be sure that they hear the details of your situation in the hopes that it will help them track this down.

And that's where I got into a bit of a trouble: because I sync over Dropbox, and the settings for those websites had been modified on both the mobile (adding 2FA) and the desktop (adding recovery codes), the sync had problems.

You’re right - making edits to the same entry on multiple devices at the same-ish time can cause trouble. 1Password will look at the updates in Dropbox and attempt to determine which edited item is newer, and use that newer item, assuming that it is correct. If 1Password cannot determine which item is newer, you might see a Conflict section in your entry with the details that 1Password wasn’t able to resolve. We always try to ensure that we do not delete potentially relevant data, but I’m sure you can see how the app will get a bit confused when it’s looking at two different updates to the same entry.

Generally we recommend editing on one device at a time. I can see why you were using both in this case, but in the future, you might want to give Dropbox a moment to sync before adding those other details.

I hope this helps!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @goatter,

Well, I’ve been in contact with our developers since writing my original post, and I think I’ve got a better answer for you on the issue you’re seeing with mini. It’s not a solution, but it’s at least a better explanation of where things are getting tangled up.

When you’re updating 1Password via the Mac App Store, the Mac App Store will quit 1Password in order to complete the update, but it leaves 1Password mini running. So, when 1Password is launched again after the update, the ‘wrong’ mini is running and 1Password gets confused and is unable to find what it needs.

We’re looking into ways to improve this behaviour, but for now, the workaround is to use ⌘⌃Q ( Command-Control-Q ) to quit both the app and 1Password mini before updating. Then you should be able to open 1Password after update with no issues.

• goatter
    goatter
    Community Member

Thanks, Megan!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @goatter,

Happy to help! You know where to find us if you notice any other quirks about 1Password. :)

This discussion has been closed.