This is a problem I found on your knowledgebase, but the answer doesn't work.

blawrenc
blawrenc
Community Member

I updated 1Password yesterday on my desktop and my laptop. I can't open 1Password on either. On the laptop, it tells me that the file is corrupted, to delete and install again. Unfortunately, 1Password thinks it is running and won't delete the application. I've checked the Activity Monitor and it doesn't register 1Password as being open.

Now what?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.2.1
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Probably iCloud but I can't check.
Referrer: forum-search:This is a problem I found on your knowledgebase, but the answer doesn't work.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@blawrenc if you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password (as opposed to the AgileBits store version) please refer to this sticky at the top of the forum. It may help.

If that doesn't help have you followed exactly this procedure? (I'm unclear what knowledge base article you saw.)

1. Drag the 1P app to the trash (don't use any app cleaner tool, which is likely to try to delete files you need to keep).
    2. Empty the trash and reboot.
    3. Re-download and re-install 1P.

So long as you follow those instructions that will not affect your 1P data. Note you should download from the place you originally bought 1P (the Mac App Store or the AgileBits store).

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blawrenc: Indeed, Step 2 will probably be the most important, since that will ensure that the ap is no longer in memory. Please let us know how it turns out! :)

• blawrenc
    blawrenc
    Community Member

Thanks for the responses. I couldn't delete 1Password because the computer insisted the program was open (Activity Monitor) and could not be moved to the trash. Restarting the computer took care of the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.