New Group?

pahidla
pahidla
Community Member

Hi,

I'm missing something super-obvious: how do you add a new group?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    edited April 2016

Hey @pahidla! Great question. The four groups, Owners, Administrators, Recovery, and Team Members, are currently the only groups available in Teams. We've had quite a few requests for custom ones, though, and I've added your vote as well. :+1:

ref: B5-1270

• ThomasK
    ThomasK
    Community Member

+1
    (Meantime perhaps mention in the docs that it's not possible to create new groups? Like @pahidla , I assumed it was super-obvious and that I was just missing it.)

• Your vote has been cast! We're not adding this to the documentation because we can keep track of who wants it and let them all know when we add it, so it's better for them to get in touch with us. :)

• ScottHooroo
    ScottHooroo
    Community Member

+1 Can you add me to the list, really need the custom group feature.

• You got it @ScottHooroo! :) Thanks for the vote.

• samattridge
    samattridge
    Community Member

+1 for me too. Custom groups would be a fantastic addition!

• Thank you as well. :+1:

• matthewmillerbiztory
    matthewmillerbiztory
    Community Member

+1

• Unicade_Music
    Unicade_Music
    Community Member

+1

• Thanks folks!

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

As groups is listed as an "upcoming feature" in the pricing section - is there any kind of indicative time frame for it? It's the one question I was asked when I proposed it to our IT team, so we could move off LastPass and on to 1P (which we prefer).

Tim

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

While i'm at it - can I confirm that groups would mean - when I add a user, I can add them to a group like "marketing", and I can also assign vault permissions to a group (so someone in marketing, might then get access to several vaults - making it easy to maintain consistent permissions)?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Tim ( @365nice ),

I’m glad to hear that you’re excited about the possibility of custom groups!

can I confirm that groups would mean - when I add a user, I can add them to a group like "marketing", and I can also assign vault permissions to a group (so someone in marketing, might then get access to several vaults - making it easy to maintain consistent permissions)

That’s the plan. :)

Unfortunately, I can’t spill much more detail than that. We make it a policy not to set dates on unreleased features. There are just too many factors involved that could change things up at the last minute, and missing a promised date due to factors beyond our control is not something we want to do. So, all I can say is “soon”. We know it’s an important feature that will make life easy for a lot of teams, and we’ll do what we can to have it ready soon.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

Thats fair enough. It's kind of a shame such a "team feature" isn't there from the start - its just so obvious from a larger team point of view. Still, I think I can convince our IT guys to invest in a subscription on the promise that soon isn't years away - and with your special pricing, getting a few monthly subs and then buying lots more when the feature rolls out isn't such a big commitment.

Thanks,

Tim

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Tim ( @365nice ),

Thanks so much for your understanding!

I think it’s important to remember that at the start of this all, 1Password Teams didn’t even exist. Our developers have been building it from the ground up, adding features and functionality as it becomes possible to do so. Custom groups has been something that has been on our to do list almost from the start, but it didn’t make it into the initial round of features tested in the beta because we just didn’t have time to get it right.

Now that we’ve ironed a lot of the kinks out of the core features of 1Password Teams, it’s time to start adding that polish, and the extra features that we’ve always wanted.

I’m so glad to hear that you’re willing to give us a go - as I said before, we’ll do what we can to have this feature ready for you as soon as we can! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hey Tim ( @365nice ),

Turns out, I can give you a better estimate on when this feature will be ready. How about ... now-ish?

Now, when you log in to your 1Password Teams account, you can create custom groups and set up custom vault access for each group. <3

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    edited May 2016

Wow! Our IT team will be blown away as well.
    Thanks!

• Hehe, that's the goal. :pirate:

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

The IT guys loved it, and are reaching for the card... thanks!

• @365nice Glad to hear it! Hope you guys continue to enjoy Teams throughout. If you ever have any questions, feel free to let us know.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

We're signed up and the groups feature is a big help. One thing I have noticed however - its a shame that you can't add groups when creating a new user and sending an invite. Having to remember to do it when they eventually accept the join link makes it a bit harder to get people up to speed - as it breaks the flow. I would prefer that that I could create an invite and add the groups I think that user should be in at the same time - then when they accept I can confirm they are who I think they are, and that they are in the groups I think they should be in.

Its an idea, and I wonder if others have noticed this as well?

Tim

• @365nice Glad to hear you're enjoying groups. :) That is indeed one limitation of them. I wrote a post about this a few days ago and it should answer your question. If it doesn't, feel free to post a follow up in that thread.

This discussion has been closed.