remove the 1password primary vault from one macbook pro to set up on another

skisgurl
skisgurl
Community Member

I am swapping macbook pros (MBP) with my husband. I have an extensive primary vault in my 1PW 6 (6.2 (620012) and do not want to leave it on the original MBP. Essentially, I want my entire 1password with primary and all vaults on the new MBP. I then want to share only my husband's vault with him on the original MBP. He only wants logins necessary to his daily operations. I have been able to move the program to the new MBP but there is no longer a "primary vault" and none of my other vaults are accessible. I imagine I performed this operation incorrectly, so sourced out help in the forum. I tried saving the agilekeychain to a desktop folder, noting it chose to use the format OP (I believe it is) and the content of the folder looks like an 1PW icon. I then established sync with DropBox and when I got to the point to choose the file to sync, nothing happened when I selected ("open") the folder or the icon. So, I attempted to move the folder to the new laptop and perform a restore from backup. The folder was not available to choose. So, I am at a loss how to sort this up. Please advise.

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.3
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:cannot set up 1password on a replacement mac

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skisgurl,

Swapping computers is always a bit of a fun challenge! I’ll do what I can to help you get this straightened out. :)

Before we get into the instruction phase of this though, I’d like to just confirm where we’re currently at:

• Have you deleted any data off of your original MacBook Pro yet?
    • Has your husband started building a database in 1Password on the original MacBook Pro?
    • On which computer is your data (your primary vaults and all your secondary vaults) currently located?
    • At what stage is your setup of 1Password on the new MacBook Pro? Have you passed the initial setup screens which allow you to choose an existing datafile?

The way I see it, we want to ensure that all of your data is synced to Dropbox, then we want to install it on the ‘new’ MacBook Pro, and securely delete it from the original MacBook Pro. Finally, we’ll ensure that there’s a shared vault between you and your husband.

Once we know where you’re currently at in this process, we’ll be better able to move forward.

• skisgurl
    skisgurl
    Community Member

Hi Megan. Thank you for your quick response. I suppose I have created a hot mess already! The original MBP, let's call that MBP1 (soon to be the husband's) was mine for years and where I downloaded 1PW and created my handy collection of logins (thanks to this awesome program.) I also created a vault for my husband, which I shared with him to an iPAD and that has only the necessary logins for what he works with (not a fan of lots of confusion, he is.) So, it became necessary to provide him with a new laptop, and we happened to have two of these MBPs, exact same model. I originally kept my private info i.e. banking on the newer MBP2 and never traveled with it. Rather than trying to move the banking, I figured it would be easier to move 1PW from MBP1 to MBP2. I downloaded the program to MBP2 and then I thought I did all the correct things, but when following the directions and choosing the agilekeychain from a folder, I essentially ended up with a trimmed-down copy of the program, and not the guts, so to speak. No vaults to work with, etc. I have not removed anything from MBP1. I don't want to lose that functionality until I can assure that it is set up correctly and completely, with full function, on the new one. I do so much appreciate your help. It has been a horrible learning curve just trying to get our two apple accounts sorted out, so his phone syncs with my former laptop (now his) and doesn't have all my stuff coming through. i "almost" feel like an expert LOL!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skisgurl,

I’m sorry this is frustrating for you!

But, if you haven’t changed anything on the original computer, we should be able to sort this out fairly simply.

I essentially ended up with a trimmed-down copy of the program, and not the guts, so to speak. No vaults to work with, etc.

It sounds to me like you got your primary vault synced over correctly (please let me know if I’m misunderstanding!) and now we just need to fill in the blanks with your other vaults. Here’s where I think the confusion is coming in: each of your 1Password vaults are synced individually, so we’ll need to ensure that each vault that lives on MBP1 is stored in Dropbox, and then add them to the installation of 1Password on MBP2. Here’s the steps:

1. Open 1Password on MBP1.
    2. Go to Preferences > Sync.

Here you’ll have the opportunity to set the sync for each vault. Click each vault and enable sync to Dropbox.

1. Give Dropbox the opportunity to complete sync of each vault. (That Dropbox icon in your menu bar should show a spinning wheel while sync is happening.)
    2. On MBP2, open a Finder window to Dropbox.
    3. Double-check to make sure that Dropbox has finished all its syncing magic.
    4. Double-click on one of your secondary vaults (will be [vaultname].agilekeychain or [vaultname].opvault) to open it in 1Password.
    5. Enter the password for the vault when prompted.
    6. Repeat as necessary for your other secondary vaults.

Once we’re sure that all of your vaults are set up on MBP2, we’ll want to start fresh with 1Password on MBP1. This will ensure your husband doesn’t have to deal with all of your data, only his vault.

I don’t want to overwhelm you with instructions all at once though, so let’s see how these steps go, and once we have all your vaults where they’re supposed to be, we’ll start the next phase. :)

• skisgurl
    skisgurl
    Community Member

Megan, you are a wizard! And, you explained the resolution perfectly! I am however, still running into a snag. Now that I have my full function on the MBP2, I want to remove the "primary" vault from the MBP1, leaving just the one shared vault. I have tried all the tricks I can think of i.e. removing the sync folder from dropbox for all vaults, essentially starting from scratch; removing the program and re-downloading. Each time, it will not let me use the shared vault password to open 1password, and when I use the main password, of course, all the original primary and shared vaults are there. I'm outta ideas and I'm sure I am just missing something again. Anyhow, I am truly grateful to you for your assistance getting all the vaults on MBP2.

• skisgurl
    skisgurl
    Community Member

Megan, I forgot to mention, when I did share the updated vault to the MBP1, it did not share all logins/updates. It only shares the three items that had been in his vault from a long time ago. Maybe I am syncing incorrectly?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skisgurl,

I’m so glad to hear we’re getting closer to resolving this!

I did share the updated vault to the MBP1, it did not share all logins/updates. It only shares the three items that had been in his vault from a long time ago.

Hmmm. I wonder then if sync became disconnected at some point. Which computer does his complete vault currently live on? We’ll need to make sure that sync is set up correctly there.

I want to remove the "primary" vault from the MBP1, leaving just the one shared vault.

The simplest way to do this is to Starting Over. When you start fresh, you’ll be able to select the shared vault in Dropbox, and then that will be the only vault that your husband has to worry about.

• skisgurl
    skisgurl
    Community Member

Hi Megan! I noticed that you are everyone's wizard. You are amazing! I finally think I am close! I have just the shared vault on the husband's laptop now. I just have one last question. I have "synced" his vault to dropbox from my end. and was able to retrieve it at his end to get it set up on his 1pw. how does it update? do i have to do something on his end to initiate it there too? when i update on my end, do i have to do a whole new sync or does the existing one update? it's a bit of a grey area for me, but i think i am getting close to catching on! and, i cannot thank you enough for all the time you have given to sort this up for me. i hope all notice your kindness and agilebits is lucky to have you there. As well, I remain incredibly impressed with the program and the outstanding service!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skisgurl,

If you’ve used Dropbox to ‘magically’ move hubby’s shared vault from your computer to his, then you should be all set up for automatic syncing from here on out. If you’d like to double-check to make sure the vault is set up with Dropbox, the place to look is in 1Password’s Preferences, in the Sync tab. You should see something like this:

how does it update? do i have to do something on his end to initiate it there too? when i update on my end, do i have to do a whole new sync or does the existing one update? it's a bit of a grey area for me, but i think i am getting close to catching on!

Dropbox syncing is automatic. Here’s a basic behind-the-scenes peek at what happens when you edit an entry:

1. You change an entry in the shared vault on your computer, and hit ‘Save’.
    2. 1Password saves that change to the appropriate place inside your Dropbox folder (inside 1Password.opvault/data ... )
    3. The Dropbox app notices that the data in the Dropbox folder has changed, and pushes that change up to the Dropbox servers.
    4. The Dropbox app on your husband’s computer will detect the change in the data on the Dropbox servers, and pull it down.
    5. 1Password will detect that there is a change to the data in the Dropbox folder on your husband’s computer, and updates the appropriate entry.

It sounds like a bit of a process, but it happens nearly instantaneously, and best of all, you don’t have to do anything. If you’d like, you could run a test:

• Create a new Secure Note in the shared vault, add a few details, and hit ‘Save’.
    • You’ll notice that Dropbox icon in the menu bar spin up briefly as it updates the changes.
    • Unlock 1Password on your husband’s laptop and check for the new Secure Note.

Thanks so much for your kind words! I hope that this gets you all sorted out in time for the weekend, but we’re always here if you have more questions. :)

• skisgurl
    skisgurl
    Community Member

We are good to go, thanks to you. Have a lovely weekend!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You too! On behalf of Megan, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.