My husband is being asked to use the main password

Options
Lyssa123
Lyssa123
Community Member

My husband is being asked to use the long and complicated password, rather than being able to come up with one password that he will remember. I have a unique password to get into my 1password on my, iPhone, computer and it also works in my browser. This is not the master password, but a unique and easy password I use to access my local programs. He isn't able to do that. We have a family plan. He is being asked to use the master password, we need him to be able to have his own password for his desktop, iPad, iPhone, and browsers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate, kb-search:can my family member have their own password for the desktop

Comments

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@Lyssa123 As far as I know you should have two passwords. When you download any of the 1Password software is asks you to create a master password as part of the setup. You also are asked to create a master password for any new families account. Both of these passwords can be the same.

It sounds like the password you created when you installed the software is less complex than your families account? This is OK and your husband should be able to do the same.

When I made my Families master password I used words that meant something to me. The common example is always correct horse battery staple but you can really use anything.

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @Lyssa123! Actually, contrary to @Scuba629's post, you may only have one Master Password, but if you're using Families you will have different members on the account, such as you, your husband, and maybe your kids. We don't recommend using the same password across the members, and we also don't recommend everyone accessing the account through the one user. I looked up your account and you do indeed have two members, so I would recommend asking him to sign in to the Families account using his email address, Account Key, and Master Password. This guide has a bit more info on setting things up if he is already using 1Password on his devices. :) Hope that helps.

• Lyssa123
    Lyssa123
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @penderworth I will check that out. Because it really seemed silly that he couldn't have his own password and that he was stuck using the master password. L

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth I didn't mean to confuse anyone but I do have two Master Passwords. I have one for my Mac/iOS Apps and one for Families.

• Ben
    Options

the master password

I think some of the confusion here stems from the thinking that there is "the" Master Password. Each person will have their own Master Password when they create an account. It isn't as if there is one Master Password for the whole family. :)

@Scuba629,

Yes, each local vault will have its own Master Password as well, just as each family/team member has their own Master Password when using Families/Teams.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.