Primary Vault vs Personal Vault -- what's the difference?

Options
slobizman
slobizman
Community Member

I just went from a single account to a Family account. I understand how to share items. But I have a question on the various vaults.

I now have the following vaults:

• Primary (my original vault from before family setup)
  • Personal
  • Shared

I understand that I will place into Shared what I want to share with my wife. But I don't know if am should move ALL ITEMS out of my Primary and into my new Personal Vault. How should I look at the difference between those two vaults?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@slobizman Primary is just like you said the old vault setup. If you had iCloud, Dropbox, or another method of syncing enabled that vault will still use it.

The Personal vault puts the 1Password servers in charge of syncing your data which in turn I feel is more secure.

I believe they are testing all clients with the Primary vault removed. So soon you might not have to even worry about it.

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member
    Options

So, then is the recommendation to move (copy?) everything from Primary to Personal?

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@slobizman I personally feel my data is in better hands with 1Password handling it. So I would say yes, but keep in mind you don't have to.

I also would use move not copy. No point in having a bunch of duplicates.

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

I do keep the 1P Emergency kits for my family in my Primary vault .. but otherwise everything was moved to Families

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @slobizman! If you'd like to just use Families, the Primary vault isn't necessary at all. You can put things you'd like to share with your wife in the Shared vault and put everything else in your Personal one. That'll make it easy for you to sign in to your Families account on any of your devices and get your passwords when you need them. :)

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to everyone. I've moved all my Primary passwords to the Personal vault.

• Ben
    Options

You're most welcome, @slobizman. Thanks for the update! If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• Hysbrian
    Hysbrian
    Community Member
    Options

Question on this. Once you have migrated from Primary to Personal is there a way to remove your old Primary vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hysbrian: There isn't a way to remove the Primary vault specifically, but if you start over you can simply add only your 1Password Families account to 1Password for Mac, and then you'll no longer have a Primary vault. I hope this helps! :)

• earlymarket
    earlymarket
    Community Member
    Options

How do I mass move everything from Primary to Personal?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @earlymarket,

How do I mass move everything from Primary to Personal?

That depends on which version/platform of 1Password you're using and this guide covers how to do it for each one:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

At the moment you'll need to use 1Password 6 on a Mac or Windows to move (or copy) multiple items at a time.

If you have other questions or run into any trouble with that, we're here to answer and help. :)

• chrisoni
    chrisoni
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk your comment was very helpful!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you, @chrisoni. Not sure it was helpful to earlymarket, who hasn't returned, so I'm happy to hear it was at least for you. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.