I use 1 password. If I sign up for Families, will my wife have access to all my passwords?

michaelhaberman
michaelhaberman
Community Member

I use 1 password 6.1 for my mac, and 1password pro on my iphone. My wife has her own 1password on her iphone. Why should I use the Families - will I have to keep my individual 1password license, and my wife keep hers. I also have a license for my Windows PC that never worked, will I have to keep that separate one also? Does Families replace all the individual licenses. If so, will my wife have access to all our passwords?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.2
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: kb:teams-troubleshooting-signin, kb:understanding-account-key, kb:account-key, kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, Families replaces all individual licences and also covers all future updates (though the updates from 4 to 5 to 6 were free, there's no guarantee that 6 to 7 will be free).

No, in Families each user has their own vault but there is also a shared vault.

One advantage of the Families version is that you don't have to set up syncing at all, it is automatic.

My own feeling is that for a family that does not currently use 1PW, the Family version is the way to go. For an individual who already has 1PW, I am dubious at present.

In your case, it might be marginal, but I suspect that Families is worthwhile. If you subscribe today, you get the early adopter benefits, which include three months free. I would be inclined to try that in your situation and if you don't like it, cancel before your credit card is charged. If you miss today, then I think you still have a thirty day period before the card is charged.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @michaelhaberman,

Did Danco’s reply help you at all? We can give you the setup with 1Password that you want whether we go with the regular ‘sync it yourself’ vaults that you’re using now, or set you up with 1Password Families.

As Danco mentions, the benefits of Families include all app updates (even if there’s a paid upgrade) and instantaneous syncing of all your vaults with no setup.

We’re here to help you no matter what you decide. :)

This discussion has been closed.