SuperDuper and 1Password Mini

metasys
metasys
Community Member

Hi, I use SuperDuper to clone a startup disc as an emergency and I get issues with 1Pmini having a grump that 2 versions exist and then fails to start. Clearly the solution is to delete the additional app from the cloned drove as mentioned in the forums. This however is a pain to do on a daily basis. I cannot see any mechanism to delete 'only one' application from the cloned drive. Has anyone got an automatic way to fix this. 1P and SuperDuper are my must have apps but this was never an issue going back 1P versions. Maybe a new version of 1PMini is smart enough to recognise what the startup disk is and react accordingly or simply scan in the background on an infrequent basis for multiple copies and offer a 'remove' function once. This would then be written into the prefs for future launches. Cloned drives as recovery devices tend not to move or change on a regular basis so in my view it would be a one click fix as there is already trapping when there are multiple apps detected

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @metasys,

Sorry that you are experiencing this. We have that alert because there is a very real issue when trying to run 1Password on a system with multiple copies because of a bug in Mac OS X.

You should be able to just exclude it from your backups entirely, that way there would be no reason to delete it. You can check out this guide under "Exclude a folder from Backup" at this page here.

Hope this helps.

• metasys
    metasys
    Community Member

Firstly many thanks for such a prompt reply. I should love to say this had fixed the issue but I have done what was suggested and I get an error within the SD script. There is an exception error (the 1P app was running but there havent been issues before) and the script subsequently !
    fails. In order to progress this I have sent the error log to Shirt Pocket and see what they say. Would you have an alternate suggestion. I ask this as I thought I would get around this with Hazel as a simpler alternative but that fails too. I guess it is the same issue. TIA

• metasys
    metasys
    Community Member

And the problem is now fixed. Dave at Shirt Pocket pointed out that in order for the work around to operate correctly you should make sure that the script is set up as a Copy Script from the Main Window of SuperDuper

His words "That's because you're trying to run it as a shell script. Instead, turn that option off and select your copy script in the main window, under "using"."

Clearly this is a work around and naturally this issue (Mac OSX or otherwise) needs to be engineered out for a future release

But thanks again. Normal 1P service resumed :)

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Hi there @metasys,

Okay I'm sorry about that! I hope they can help you with the script problem.

As for a workaround, you should only be getting a prompt for multiple copies if you have to update 1Password. You can just click the button to "update anyway" and live with the risk for a little while until you can fix the issue with the backups.

Does that make sense? :chuffed:

• metasys
    metasys
    Community Member

Sure, but I think our postings crossed. See above 3.26 pm

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Yup, thanks for pointing that out @metasys. It's a real problem for our users so I really really hope that it can be fixed sometime soon for everyone's sake. Glad to hear things are working for you though! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.