Need to know the recommend workflow for merging records from 2 current vaults into 1 new vault

donwowar
donwowar
Community Member

I have moved from using LastPass to 1Password, and am happy with the change. Somehow in the migration process on my office laptop, 1Password shows as having 2 vaults: 1Password Vault and Primary Vault. However, on my home iMac, the installation shows only 1 vault: 1Password. (I sync the records on the 2 machines through Dropbox.)

Would be better if I could merge all of the records into 1 file/vault. I'm wondering if you have a recommended workflow for accomplishing this.

By the way, the home iMac is a new machine, and I installed all of my applications recently. It does look like there is a possibility that I installed 1Password on the home iMac as a direct download from your site, while the install on my office laptop (MacBook Pro) was done through the App Store. Not sure if this may have complicated things, or not.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:merge records in 2 vaults

Comments

• Hi @donwowar,

Thanks for asking this question!

Having one be AgileStore and one being App Store shouldn't factor in at all for this. They both are able to work with DropBox just fine.

Your best bet for getting this paired down to the 1 Primary vault on your Office laptop is probably going to be to export the items from the vault named "1Password Vault", import them into the vault named "Primary" and then after you've verified that all the items have transferred over, delete the "1Password Vault".

Exporting:
    1. In 1Password.app, click on the vault selector on the top left side of the window
    2. Choose the vault named 1Password Vault
    3. Click on All Items in the sidebar
    3. Click on the Edit menu and choose Select All
    4. Click on the File menu and choose the Selected Items… under the Export menu item
    5. Type in your master password
    6. Save the resulting file to someplace you can easily get to it

Importing:
    1. In 1Password.app, click on the vault selector on the top left side of the window
    2. Choose the vault named "Primary"
    3. Click on the File menu and choose Import
    4. Choose 1Password as the answer to "Where is your data coming from?"
    5. Click on Using the Mac app to reveal the instructions for importing from 1Password
    6. Verify that the answer to step 4 says "Primary"
    7. click the button that says Select File… to then select the 1pif you previously exported

At this point you should have all your vault items imported into your primary vault.

I would double check that the number of items imported matches up with the numbers for the "1Password Vault" vault. After you're sure that you've got everything transferred over successfully you can choose the "1Password Vault" in the vault selector pop-up menu in the main window and click on the 1Password menu, revealing a new "Delete Vault" menu item.

Let me know if you need any help with the steps!

Rudy

• donwowar
    donwowar
    Community Member

Rudy:

Thanks VERY MUCH for your thorough and quick response! I am really impressed with your responsiveness!

I will work on the solution you proposed this coming weekend. If there are further issues, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, thanks.

--don w.

• Great to hear it's working!

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.