ok. my master password won't work on computer but will on iPad pro. why?

nikkihutchings
nikkihutchings
Community Member

the mac update killed my computer and went to genius bar to wipe it and start over. now i can't sign into iTunes or 1 password. i tried to sign into 1pass on my iPad pro and i was able to unlock it but to see anything i must unlock the laptop (main version) first. how do i do this? is everything lost forever?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:forgot-master-password, kb:master-password-not-accepted

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nikkihutchings,

Obviously we're sorry to hear you had to fight with your Mac and and had to go as far as wiping it to regain some sort of reliability. Now let's see about getting 1Password back to normal behaviour :smile:

So I'm a little confused. In your message you say you're syncing via iCloud which is a perfectly good way of syncing an iPad and Mac but 1Password for iOS syncing to iCloud is completely separated from the Mac beyond that they can connect to the same sync data. So why you say

i tried to sign into 1pass on my iPad pro and i was able to unlock it but to see anything i must unlock the laptop (main version) first

I'm unsure what is happening as it doesn't sound like normal behaviour at all. Once we learn a bit more about what is happening we should be able to help. As long as the two were syncing to iCloud beforehand then all should not be lost, we just need to learn a bit more first. Can you describe in more detail please what is happening and we'll proceed from there.

• nikkihutchings
    nikkihutchings
    Community Member

Well after continued tries to open 1password on my laptop (I thought I was going crazy and didn't remember changing passwords) I decided to try my iPad Pro. I typed in my usual password for 1password and it "unlocked". Which confirmed that I didn't change my password, right? But a message box appeared that none of the info can be seen unless I open 1password on my laptop. At this rate can I just start over? Erase everything and redownload the app?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nikkihutchings,

Thanks for the additional info here. You can start over fresh if you want to, but it doesn't sound like you will need to, so let's see if we can just help you access your existing data first.

a message box appeared that none of the info can be seen unless I open 1password on my laptop.

As littlebobbytables mentioned, that does not sound normal. The closest thing I can think of is the notice that 1Password for iOS will show if it's trying to wi-fi sync to your Mac. It's just a notice to let you know that it's unable to sync the data over wi-fi unless your 1Password vault on your Mac is unlocked. But that should not keep you from seeing your data in 1Password on your iOS devices.

I think the issue may just be getting 1Password properly set up and synced on your freshly-wiped Mac. Here's a guide to setting it up on a new Mac, which will walk you through syncing your existing data.

Hopefully that will help you get things synced up, but if you have additional questions, please let us know how you actually sync your vault: via iCloud (as indicated in the footer of your original post), or do you use wi-fi sync (which is suggested by that error asking you to unlock 1Password on your Mac)? You can check this in 1Password's sync settings on your iOS devices.

We look forward to hearing how it goes!
    ref: OPI-3314

This discussion has been closed.