Can't connect to mini

martinliss
martinliss
Community Member

This is just an FYI but every time I upgrade 1Password (closing it first) I get an error message that says something like "Can't connect to mini". However if I ignore it everything seems to be OK, in fact I used it to login here.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@martinliss you may find this knowledge base article helpful:

If you see “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” when trying to open 1Password

(I'm unclear whether or not you've already seen it.)

Stephen

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member

I do have 1Password in my Applications folder and the point of my post was to say that although I get the "1Password failed to connect ti 1Password mini...", the mini is still works without doing any of the things suggested in the article you pointed me to.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@martinliss: It sounds like OS X may simply still be caching the old app for a bit after the update. Please let us know what you find! :)

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member

So are you suggesting that although i'm running the 6.2.1 version of the main app that the mini is an older version? If so how do I verify that? In other words how do I determine the version of the mini (if it is in fact a separate app)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@martinliss: Think of it this way, you probably had 1Password (mini, at least, which is inside the 1Password app bundle) running when you updated. It downloads the new version, opens it, trashes the old...but sometimes it can take OS X a minute to release the old one. After all, it's still technically on your Mac (and accessible to OS X), so if the new version opens before the old is closed completely, you'll get that error. Usually if you just give it a minute OS X will clear that right up, but at the very least restarting your Mac will resolve the issue. :)

• martinliss
    martinliss
    Community Member

OK then maybe a "Try again" message would be appropriate.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @martinliss,

I’m sorry for the frustration here. I know it can be annoying when 1Password doesn’t load properly. I’ve seen a few cases of this over the last few days, and I’ve been talking to our developers about this.

Just to provide a bit of further explanation, this issue stems from the way that the Mac App Store is quitting 1Password in order to perform the update - it closes the main app, but leaves mini running.

If you fully quit 1Password - using ⌘⌃Q ( Command-Control-Q ) - before running an update, you should be able to avoid this issue entirely.

This discussion has been closed.