Need 1Password for Couples.

Options
mrmachine
mrmachine
Community Member

I've switched to 1Password for families, and just paid my first annual fee which came to be $33 after $15 worth of discounts. That price is OK, but still a little high for what I am getting vs traditional 1Password apps for my use case.

I've tried hard for years to get my parents on board with 1Password, but they just will not do it. I don't have any siblings who I need to share passwords with. It's just me and my wife. But I'm paying for 5 accounts (and actually have 7, thanks to the early adopter bonus). Next year, it will be $48, which in AUD is currently $63.

That's a pretty high annual fee essentially just so two people can more easily make use of multiple vaults for organisation, without having to deal with manual sync configuration for every new vault and on every device we each use.

Maybe in 15 years when I've got a couple of teenage kids, the family plan might be more suited to my circumstances. But in the meantime, I'd really love to see you come out with a a couples plan.

The whole point of 1Password for Families and Teams is sharing and collaboration. For that you generally need at least one additional person to share and collaborate with. So I think that should be what the minimum buy-in price is based on. $2 per month (paid annually) for 1Password for Couples, with each additional person costing $1 per month.

That's a price I would happily pay. Currently, I feel like I am subsidising bigger families who actually have 7 people to share passwords with, and I will probably never need that many, and certainly won't need more than 2 for the next decade at least.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @mrmachine! Thanks so much for the feedback on our pricing model. A 1Password Couples or Individuals plan is something we're keeping in mind. We had a lot of requests for using 1Password in a family environment, specifically with more than two members, and sharing things among the members, and we built the initial release of Families based on the need we saw. I think it's a really fantastic start. Of course, there are areas we can improve and other demographics we can reach out to. We don't discuss future plans publicly since there are too many factors that can change, but we are considering something more basic for smaller families in the future. :)

As far as pricing in general, Families is still a great value. Right now, the apps are around $90 for every platform with Pro and Premium features on the mobile ones. We wanted to make it easier for people to access 1Password wherever they are, so we built 1Password Families and 1Password for Teams. The really cool thing is you get access in any modern browser, so you don't need the apps to get a password if you're on the road or don't have 1Password installed. You can also install the app on as many devices as you and the rest of your family own. Just getting the apps means you each need to purchase a license, which isn't realistic for everyone. I think we're moving in the right direction, and I'm hoping the next few months give us a chance to explore different territory as well. :+1:

• mrmachine
    mrmachine
    Community Member
    Options

It's definitely moving in the right direction. What I like over the old apps (vs a service) is:

a) It's easy to organise things into multiple vaults and grant/revoke permissions. No need to manually configure all devices with syncing via Dropbox for every different vault.

b) Cognitively much simpler to understand because everything is self contained. It really is just "one" password (and an access key). You don't need to rely on 3rd party services to sync, or mentally deal with the fact that unlocking a "primary" vault unlocks secondary vaults, but needing to know the secondary vault's password to unlock the first time.

c) Web access is a major improvement for people on Linux and probably Windows, but is not really providing much for every day Mac users. Well, it's not as good as a native app, but it makes 1Password actually usable cross platform. Linux users were previously basically 3rd world below the poverty line, and now they are a developing nation but still not on par with native clients.

Things I don't love:

1) Being on Mac, the only reason I ever use the web UI is to manage permissions and create vaults (because it's the only place I can do that). The access key + password requirement is not convenient enough to enable "access anywhere" e.g. if you are without your phone or computer and need something from 1Password. That's totally OK with me. I'm happy to use a web UI for that stuff if it saves you having to implement it 3 times over in native apps. But as a Mac user I don't want to be paying a premium for the web UI because I'll honestly rarely use it to actually access passwords. And if I were a Linux or even Windows user, I'd just be annoyed that the native clients don't exist or are not up to scratch, and that I am forced to pay the same premium as everyone else but forced to use a nice but still inferior web UI. The web UI is something you need to fill in the gaps, not something that I need to pay a premium for.

2) Pricing. This is the main sticking point. Sure, you can add up the cost of all your pro apps on all your platforms and claim that $60/year is good value. But I haven't had to buy a new 1Password license every year, let alone 2 or 3 of them for different platforms. And unless 1Password for families is going to be introducing major compelling new features every year, I think $60 is quite expensive, especially for small families (of 2 people). I like that you can add extra people for $1 per month. That's a good price. But why do small families have to pay 250% more than the standard per user cost ($5 for 5 users, $1 per additional user). That's not fair. I don't want reduced functionality as a small family. I just want fewer users, because I am not going to need more than 2 users for at least 10 years.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for the $1/$2 plan.

I subscribed because of the Early Adaptor benefits, but might cancel when the credits run out. I would definitely stay on board for $1/$2 per month.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bernfrin: I think what penderworth was referring to is the hypothetical "1Password for Awesome Individuals", which may make it possible to add an additional one or two if needed, or...who knows. It doesn't exist, so it's fun to think about different possibilities. 1Password Families, however, is here to stay. :sunglasses:

But why do small families have to pay 250% more than the standard per user cost ($5 for 5 users, $1 per additional user). That's not fair. I don't want reduced functionality as a small family. I just want fewer users, because I am not going to need more than 2 users for at least 10 years.

@mrmachine: I hear you, but there are costs associated with developing, testing, and supporting software; and with 1Password Families/Teams there are also very real ongoing expenses (hosting, bandwidth, etc.) It may not be the perfect fit for you right now, but it's an incredible value, and frankly I'm not sure we can go any lower than that at this point, though this may change in the future to some extent...especially if the Canadian dollar makes a comeback. :p

I subscribed because of the Early Adaptor benefits, but might cancel when the credits run out. I would definitely stay on board for $1/$2 per month.

@XIII: Thank you! I'm glad you've given it a chance! Now it's up to us to help you justify maintaining your subscription. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bernfrin: Our aim isn't to price anyone out of a subscription, but it's inevitable that not everyone can afford or otherwise justify paying a subscription, but that's not a good reason to charge less than we can reasonably afford to. We could absolutely chase revenue and perhaps increase it dramatically by doing what you suggest (that's probably what we'd do if we were a publicly traded company, since we'd have a responsibility to shareholders), but if we didn't also hire more people for support and testing (which would also increase costs dramatically), we'd be setting ourselves up for failure and doing all of our customers a huge disservice, through lower quality, or possibly driving ourselves out of business. And then nobody's happy.

We're absolutely looking at the long-term. We're an independent Canadian software company. We're not for sale, we don't take venture capital, and we don't collect or sell customer information. The only way we keep going, making 1Password Teams/Families and the individual apps better, is by charging sustainable prices for our products. Again, it may be that we can offer a greater variety of plans in the future, but for now this is what we're able to do.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty FWIW, I fully support the pricing structure AgileBits has chosen and I am more than happy to pay for the outstanding product and unparalleled customer support you offer.

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

I totally agree with @brenty .. Agilebits is smart enough to create a business model that will sustain them for the future and I'm glad they came out with Families and Teams to help them do that. I've been a customer since the beginning .. my whole life is documented in 1P along with my families .. Won't do me any good if they go out of business. Honestly .. My family will take a while to get on the 1P Family band wagon and I'm really the only real user .. and I can justify the $5/month subscription. But they are not forcing you to switch. If you're happy purchasing the app then continue. I'm at the stage of life where everything I purchase needs to be justified. "Do I need it", "Do I want it" .. At the end of the day, I can say that 1P Family is worth 2 cups of coffee per month .. You may not think so. But there are choices.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks much for your continued support, @iamecho & @rr0ss0rr!

a business model that will sustain them for the future

Indeed! We want to ensure that AgileBits is a sustainable company for a long time, and one that attracts passionate people to work for us. We want to be able to continue to provide the high quality software and the level of service that folks have come to expect from us for many years to come.

I understand how you might feel that as a family of one or two would be "subsidizing" larger families, since we give everyone the ability to invite up to 5. The reality though is that there is a base cost associated with each account. We can't charge a fee that doesn't enable us to cover those costs, plus support the costs associated with development, customer service, documentation, etc. As Brenty mentioned it may be difficult to offer the same level of service (even for less people) at less of a cost. But that doesn't mean the idea is off the table. It is certainly something we'll continue to evaluate as things move forward.

Ben

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

If you do the annual subscription you only pay $4 dollars a month. With LastPass you only get one "Folder" to share for your $1 per month. And that same folder isn't as useful unless everyone has a premium account because they can only use browser extensions or mobile as a free user. So in my family on Lastpass I would end up paying at least $3 dollars for me, my wife, and my son and only get to share one folder. Sure its one folder per account but that to me seems messy. I like being able to create multiple vaults. And if I had 4-5 family members needing access its the same or more as 1Password.

I don't know how Dashlane works but if its $3.33 a month that's close enough to $4 for me not really have to talk up 1Password.

At its core 5 family members plus 2 guests is an amazing offering. If some were lucky to get the two extra family members its even better!

I've been using 1Password for Families and while me and my wife are more than just a couple find the value to be great! Not only did I get 2 free months just for starting early but I also got $5 dollars off because of a quest reward. So for 1 year I paid $35 dollars or $2.92 a month. Cheaper than both Lastpass and Dashlane for at least this year.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, @Scuba629! It is great to hear that we are providing value. :)

Ben

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

In the end it feels like we are talking about 1-2 dollars a month. I can skip a coffee, beer or other small charge for the value I get. Heck sometimes I feel I owe you money for all the free upgrades I've gotten over the years. Keep it up!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks again. :+1:

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

In the end it feels like we are talking about 1-2 dollars a month.

Unfortunately not for me: I pay $1/month for LastPass Premium, but $6,05 for 1Password.

I know I can get $1 cheaper by going annual, but I'd rather first see how/when the service matures.

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@XIII Are you the only one using your 1Password for Families account? While I love all the features Families provides I might just keep my single license in play till I had more members to share stuff with.

@Bernfrin Like I mentioned above you can reduce your cost by 12 dollars a year. So if your goal is to save money that would be a first step. I also don't think your throwing away any money. You are paying for a service that should have a huge impact on your life. As with anything I feel you get what you pay for.

I've used AWS before and while I'd bet they get a discount or can use one server for multiple customers the costs aren't cheap.

https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Are you the only one using your 1Password for Families account? While I love all the features Families provides I might just keep my single license in play till I had more members to share stuff with.

I'm indeed the only one really using 1Password in my family (that's why I compare the price with LastPass Premium for a single person).

In the past I have paid the iOS Pro In-App-Purchase for 3 different family members (and shared vaults with them using Dropbox, which I configured for them), but they are still not using 1Password... Unfortunately they seem to find the product too complicated.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @XIII,

Thanks for the feedback here! I’m sorry that your family finds 1Password a bit complicated. Perhaps this is not the place, but I’d love to hear a bit more about where they got tripped up. We’re always looking to make 1Password more user-friendly, so it would be great to know where we can improve a bit more.

Feel free to email in to support@agilebits.com if you’d like to continue the conversation. :)

This discussion has been closed.