could 1password be crashing my computer?

lisaweatherman
lisaweatherman
Community Member

I have an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009) 3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 and recently it crashed badly. The tech at the university who owns the computer said that sometimes things that run in the background of a computer like 1Password or dropbox can make the computer crash. Could that be the case? I really need my password manager, but don't want to wreck computers.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:is 1password crashing my computer

Comments

• Hi @lisaweatherman ,

That doesn't sound likely. Applications like 1Password or Dropbox do not operate at a low enough level to be able to crash a computer, even if they tried. Typically crashes can only occur by faulty hardware, bugs in OS X itself, or low level software required to make hardware peripherals run. It's sometimes possible for an application to exploit a bug in OS X and trigger a crash, but we aren't aware of any in 1Password. I also use Dropbox and haven't seen any of that. Applications can also slow down the computer enough that make you want to restart it, but usually not crash it entirely.

If your computer crashed, the tech at the university should be able to recover the "panic log" and determine the cause. The panic log usually contains the information leading up to the crash.

If you like, you can also send us a diagnostic report from 1Password:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. Also, include the date/time the computer crashed.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we can look up the date and time of the crash and see what 1Password was doing at the time right before the crash.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.