update shows multiple copies; finder shows only 1 copy

Bill
Bill
Community Member

Using 10.11.4 macbook pro (retina early 2015) I tried to update.
Error message says multiple copies but finder only shows 1.
The extra copy was "user/(name)/downloads/1password 6.app" that needs to be removed.
This is the only copy on "This Mac"
I DISCONNECTED THE BACKUP DRIVE.
I REMOVED EXTRA EXTENSIONS.
I STILL HAVE CORRECT INFORMATION ON THE IPHONE.
I do not want to lose everything the next time I sync and the incomplete vault overwrites the correct vault on the iPhone. Had a similar situation happen a few years ago.

1Password Version: 6.2(620012)
Extension Version: 4.5.5.safriextz
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Wifi sync
Referrer: kb:remove-multiple-apps, kb-search:update shows more than one copy, kb-search:update shows more than one copy;finder shows only 1, kb-search:update shows more than one copy; finder shows only 1

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bill,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling frustrated. Believe me, I understand that this is annoying, and we wish that we could work around this in a different way. Unfortunately, having multiple versions of 1Password installed on your system could lead to complications, and we’ve found that the best way to ensure that you avoid those problems is by keeping only one copy of 1Password on your Mac at a time.

Disconnecting the backup drive is an important step. Did you also look in your /Downloads folder? The message indicates that you have a copy of 1Password in your downloads: "user/(name)/downloads/1password 6.app”. (The app should always be run from the /Applications folder.)

I do not want to lose everything the next time I sync and the incomplete vault overwrites the correct vault on the iPhone.

This should have no effect on your data. Your data is stored separately from the app itself, so deleting extra copies of the 1Password app is safe.

• azur
    azur
    Community Member

I'm in Yosemite, I bought an external HD to test el capitan, but when I run 1 password, I have this question?
    Sorry I am French and my English skills are succinct

what should I do ??
    thank you

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Salut à @azur,

Cela a été traduit dans Google Translate, mais la version originale est ci-dessous.

Désolé que vous faites face à cette confusion.

Donc, cet avertissement est que vous avez des copies supplémentaires de 1Password sur votre système. Dans ce cas, je pense qu'il est parce que vous avez un disque dur externe avec 1Password et votre disque dur de test avec 1Password ainsi.

Techniquement, vous devez supprimer la copie supplémentaire de 1Password. Parce qu'il réduit le risque de problèmes sous Mac OS X. Mais dans le cas de votre test, vous pourriez techniquement cliquez sur "Continue Update" pour le moment. Il suffit de garder à l'esprit que si vous avez éventuellement des problèmes d'ouverture 1Password vous devez vous assurer que vous avez seulement une version de 1Password sur votre ordinateur.

Hope this helps.

================================================

Hi there @azur,

Sorry that you're facing this confusion.

So this warning is that you have extra copies of 1Password on your system. In this case I imagine it's because you have an external hard drive with 1Password and your test hard drive with 1Password as well.

Technically you should remove the extra copy of 1Password. Because it lowers the risk of issues in Mac OS X. But in the case of your test you could technically just click "Continue Update" for the time being. Just keep in mind that if you eventually have issues opening 1Password you should make sure you only have one version of 1Password on your computer.

Hope this helps.

• azur
    azur
    Community Member

Thank you @nathanvf
    it's much clearer for me now

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

No problem @azur, glad to help.

This discussion has been closed.