Suspect problem with Firefox extension

ICTvoordeZaak
ICTvoordeZaak
Community Member

Hello,

Although I am not 100% certain, I suspect a problem with the 1Password6 Firefox extension.
What happens:
Firefox (latest version, to date 45.0.1) tends to freeze at random.
Next, the Firefox Dock icon of the crashed process stays visible while there is no Firexfox pid anymore.
When relaunching Firefox a second Dock icon appears. And this repeats during the cause of a day. In the end I may have six Firefox Dock icons (they also appear when I do cmd-tab in Finder).
Most annoying is that I only can reboot the computer using Terminal (sudo shutdown -r now). When restarting from Apple-menu, Finder won't quit because of the stale Firefox icons that have no pid.

I found that is simptoms are gone after disabling the Firefox 1Password extension. Safari doesn't seem to be affected and I don't use Chrome.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:firefox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @ICTvoordeZaak,

While I'm not a massive Firefox user I still feel pretty confident that we're looking at something worse than our extension here. When Firefox crashes are you getting the option to send a crash report? It should hopefully help determine where the issue lies if there is one.

It may be worth seeing if the issue also remains after downloading a entirely fresh copy of Firefox.

1. Ensure Firefox isn't running.
    2. Drag the Firefox application from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash. Please don't use an app cleaner.
    3. Reboot your Mac.
    4. Download Firefox again.

If it is the 1Password Firefox extension I would expect a lot of unhappy users as this version of the extension has been out for a month and Firefox automatically updates extensions. That's partly why I think something funky is happening on your system.

This discussion has been closed.