1Password Update seems to require restart of Mac

Hi,
my friends and me are having problems after updating 1password via the Apple store. Starting 1password immediately after the update always hangs it caused by access problems to one password mini.

Even terminating all browsers does not help. Restarting the Mack solves that problem. For me this problem has been existing probably for at least a couple of months since the first update to version 6. I don't really recall if the problem was also existing in version 5.

Ok, this may be not an urgent issue, but I am pretty sure it bothers users who are not so familiar with the stuff - actually a couple of friends informed me about this and have been very concerned.

Greetings from Germany
Bernie

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Bernhard at Lake Constance,

In theory the issue should have been present at any point from 1Password 4 and newer but I suspect the reason we're seeing the message a lot more is we've been trying to stop the situation arising where the wrong copy of 1Password mini is running. I just recently posted in another thread and here is a link to my response there. I believe it should help. Given we can't control what happens when the App Store updates 1Password we're still trying to think about what might be done but it's tough because we're not involved in the update process. The thread will explain what can be done to help mitigate the situation.

• Hi "littlehobbytables",

you poor people seem to be working weekends - I am feeling a bit bad to bother you with that low prio issue...

Thanks for your fast response and the link.
    The workaround you suggest works, but that is really tricky for normal users to use "⌃⌘Q"! Quitting 1Password via Menu or "⌘Q" still leaves mini running which causes that problem. By the way, your help info is incorrect. It says you can quit 1PWD and mini via the Menu Q. That´s not the case, see attached screenshot. (Totally minor issue...)

I think I understand your problem, i.e. an incompatible version of mini still running. From my point of view there are 3 possible solutions (don´t laugh if this is all nonsense, I am not an expert):
    1. Why are you not killing the process of mini in your update script during the installation process?
    2. Or whenever 1Password is started you kill eventually running processes of mini and start the good mini with the start of 1PWD.
    3. Or you always quit mini via the normal quit (Menu Q or ⌘Q). From what I understand mini is required for supplying Browser Plugins with data - so the only consequence would be that users always have to run 1PWD even if they are only using Browsers and the 1PWD Plugin.

Ok, I understand you have recognized the problem and you are working on it. Keep on. Normal custumers will appreciate it.

Greetings
    Bernie

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

1. Why are you not killing the process of mini in your update script during the installation process?

@Bernhard at Lake Constance: 1Password doesn't run an update script; the App Store is managing the update process. :(

2. Or whenever 1Password is started you kill eventually running processes of mini and start the good mini with the start of 1PWD.

This is really a question of timing, and getting it right is problematic, potentially causing problems for people who weren't having trouble in the first place.

3. Or you always quit mini via the normal quit (Menu Q or ⌘Q). From what I understand mini is required for supplying Browser Plugins with data - so the only consequence would be that users always have to run 1PWD even if they are only using Browsers and the 1PWD Plugin.

Again, while I appreciate that would help you, it would also be more of nuisance to folks never affected by this in the first place. i'm not sure I'd call that a win.

Ok, I understand you have recognized the problem and you are working on it. Keep on. Normal custumers will appreciate it.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. Honestly, since this issue seemed to arise out of no where this past year, I suspect that it's something Apple can address in time, especially since it affects many other apps as well. Cheers! :)

• Thanks, Brenty, for your detailed replies. I understand.

Just a recommendation: Replace the nice but useless words in your update info of the App Store (see attachment) by a recommendation to users to restart their Mac after the update.
    I figure a comment like "please terminate 1Password and 1Password-mini with "⌃⌘Q" would be less understandable by normal users.

Greetings
    Bernie!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bernhard at Lake Constance,

It's tricky. You're possibly quite correct, the keyboard shortcut may be confusing for some and to some extent I may completely miss what is confusing to the typical user now as when you spend this much time inside an application it's easy to forget what it's like looking at it with a fresh pair of eyes or through the eyes of somebody that wouldn't say they are technically literate.

On the other hand quitting 1Password and 1Password mini is a lot quicker than restarting the Mac which some people will think is terrible that we suggest it at all.

Maybe something in between where we explain that quitting both 1Password and 1Password mini is what is needed but if they don't understand what we mean by ⌃⌘Q then restarting the Mac will also have the desired effect. I will be curious to know what you think as you are seeing it from a different perspective which is can be immensely valuable.

@Mitch: I thought it might be useful if you saw this thread :smile:

I think what you recommended as "something in between" is the way to go. Let the experienced users know that they should use the keyboard shortcut and recommend a Mac restart to the others.

I am running a local Apple Users Group and I have continuously promoted your product to members. I keep saying that today with many logins the keyboards aren´t big enough to hold all your secret passwords scribled on the back... But we do have a couple of people not only new to Mac but new to computers - many of them over 70 years old. That´s why a simple solution with no user interaction for updates would be the preferred solution.

I have a SW history starting back to the 70s of the last century, today being a retired Computer enthusiast I am just a user - but my IT background always bothers me... especially when I think there are better ways. And I know you can by no means move big monster companies like Microsoft or Appple - even if the problem is totally on their side. So, encourage your developers to find a tricky way to solve that w/o user interactiom - I bet that´s possible.

Greetings
    Bernie

I forgot one thing: I am always closing all browsers before doing an update of 1PWD. Maybe that is not required. But if it is required you may also want to mention that in addition to the shortcut hint
    Bernie

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bernhard at Lake Constance: Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

Just to follow up, it shouldn't be necessary to quit/restart the browser when updating the 1Password app. The 1Password browser extensions are separate, and browsers themselves in most cases will actually update these automatically in the background.

However, I'm personally an advocate of restarting the Mac after updates in general. While it shouldn't be necessary (and in the past it wasn't), because of the way that the App Store handles updates (which is why we're having this discussion in the first place) coupled with the fact that many of us find that things go wrong if the Mac is running for too long, it can save us all a lot of headaches...and frankly "restart your Mac" is more easily understood than the "quit any running apps before updating them" that is needed any time I have App Store updates. Hopefully Apple can improve this in the future, but in the mean time it saves me a lot of headaches. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.