How does my wife set up her own One Password with a Family license?

rhinorudi
rhinorudi
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Mac

I purchased 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle (Family License) , order #removed by AgileBits . My wife, finally, wants to use this. How does she set up her own copy and not link it to my email?
Thanks, Randy

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @rhinorudi,

So you do have a family licence and the way the licence works is you apply the licence you have to the other copies of 1Password. It is correct that it will show the licence as licensed to you but the licence is just for the purposes of disabling the trial mode, the vaults stored locally are very separate from a licence. The key part is understanding that your licence and your vaults are not connected and we do see this confusion.

Of course to make it a bit more messier now I see that you were visiting out 1Password Families page on how to migrate. The Family licence you purchased in 2014 is very different from 1Password Families. 1Password Families is a subscription service where you have an account with us and we store all of your vaults on our server and allow you to manage vaults for your team or family. It has a number of nice things about it but just to be clear, it too is very separate from having a family licence. Your licence entitles you to run 1Password on your computers and your vaults are stored locally. You can choose if and how you want to synchronise those vaults, everything is held only where you tell 1Password to store it and is all under your control.

Does that help at all? Please, if you feel it doesn't go far enough in explaining do say and we'll elaborate where required :smile:

• rhinorudi
    rhinorudi
    Community Member

OK, I think I got it. She installs 1Password on her computer and sets up her local vault and password but uses my key to get out of trial mode.
    I see that 1Password Families is different than the license I purchased.
    Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @rhinorudi,

It sounds like you've got it all right to me but should you have any questions at all please do ask, we're here to help :smile:

This discussion has been closed.