Sharing Certain Credit Cards

Options
rlh
rlh
Community Member

I have created a shared vault with my wife, putting in obvious things like financial account logins, bank information, etc.

I'd like to share credit card entires the same way. But, at a minimum, each of our cards has our own name on it and in some cases (e.g., Amex) we each have a unique card number. Of course, we could keep each card in our own Personal vaults but that has some downsides:

1. Other than name (and sometimes account number) everything else is identical. It would be easier to manage a single entry.
  2. It's useful for me to be able to have access to my wife's account number (and she, mine) which doesn't work if they are in separate vaults.

If I put BOTH credit cards in separate records in the shared vault that would solve only #2, while creating a new nuisance, now I'd have another credit card (that I don't want to use) on my browser extension credit card list.

What's the solution? The only thing I can imagine is some modification to the file format that would allow multiple names and account number fields, each associated with a person in the shared vault and then have 1Password mostly ignore (such as in browser extension use) the fields that don't belong to me.

Or has someone thought through this problem and come up with some kind of clever solution / workaround?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @rlh! That's a very interesting question. Despite you not wanting another credit card in your browser list, I'd say this is the best option:

If I put BOTH credit cards in separate records in the shared vault that would solve only #2, while creating a new nuisance, now I'd have another credit card (that I don't want to use) on my browser extension credit card list.

If you do this, you can just have them both with different titles. Amex - Claire and Amex - Todd would be an example. You can change the title to whatever works best for you. To just see credit card items in the Shared vault (which would narrow them down) you could quickly switch vaults in the browser using a keyboard shortcut. If it's the second vault in the list, that shortcut would be holding or Control and then pressing 2.

Another option, of course, would be to edit the item itself and make a new set of fields with her card number then your card number, or her name then your name. The problem with that is you won't be able to fill this in the browser, which for me wouldn't work because that's the only time I use my credit card items. :)

Something that could be useful in all of this is the ability to not display an item in the browser. Just edit the item, scroll to the bottom of it, and in the display dropdown menu, change the setting to Never display in browser.

Hopefully that provides some inspiration. Let us know if you have any questions.

• rgruyters
    rgruyters
    Community Member
    Options

Something that could be useful in all of this is the ability to not display an item in the browser. Just edit the item, scroll to the bottom of it, and in the display dropdown menu, change the setting to Never display in browser.

Didn't know that this was possible. Great tip!

• Jacob
    Options

It's quite a useful one! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlh (and at a guess @rgruyters you'll want to know this too)

Just to clarify though as I'm not sure if it was clear earlier, hiding any item in a shared vault will cause it to be hidden for anybody else using it just as marking an item as a favourite makes it a favourite for everybody. So hiding the entry for your wife's credit card might work for you but if it's in a shared vault your wife probably won't be as happy.

• lrosenstein
    lrosenstein
    Community Member
    Options

What I did was to create 2 additional vaults containing data that I'd like my wife to access if necessary, and vice versa. I then configured the All Vaults view to not show each other's vault. Most of the time, we're viewing All Vaults and the other person's credit card doesn't show up, but it's still accessible by manually switching to that vault. (I also use these vaults for household website login, such as utilities.)

• Jacob
    Options

Using vault is a good solution as well. I like that detail of configuring All Vaults. Very smart. :glasses:

• rgruyters
    rgruyters
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Thanks for the update, but in my case this isn't a problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

"No problem" sounds good to me. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.