Hi, is it possible to move 1Password from /Applications to /Users/UserName/Applications?

mmmmm
mmmmm
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Mac

Hi, is it possible to move 1Password from /Applications to /Users/UserName/Applications and still keep it functional?

What I'm trying to achieve is to hide the 1Password from other users on my computer.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• Hi @mmmmm,

The version of 1Password from the Mac App Store won't like being in any location but in /Applications. This is due to sandboxing rules and the way 1Password and 1Password mini communicate and authenticate each other. Can I ask why you're trying to hide 1Password from the other users on your computer?

Rick

• mmmmm
    mmmmm
    Community Member

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the reply and I'm sorry I reply so late.

Actually, you're asking me a very good question. I'm not sure why I want to hide 1Password.
    I have a second account on my Mac that is managed with Parental Controls. I use this account if someone asks me if they can use my computer.

So I guess I didn't want them to even see that I am using a password managing software. In my mind that translates as being even more secure, because other people won't even know how I manage my digital life. Or maybe you can call that paranoia :)

So I took the apps I didn't want other people to see and I moved them to /Users/MyAccountName/Applications.
    To be honest that's a standard place for applications. If you install an app on your Mac and the installer asks whether you want it to be available just to you or for all users, and you select the option for the app to be available only to you, then the app will be placed in exactly that folder. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one?

Also, just to point it out, in that folder I have a few other apps that were downloaded from the Mac App Store and they work just fine.

mmmmm

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So I guess I didn't want them to even see that I am using a password managing software. In my mind that translates as being even more secure, because other people won't even know how I manage my digital life. Or maybe you can call that paranoia :)

@mmmmm: Understood, but keep in mind that this doesn't improve security at all, since your 1Password vault is completely inaccessible without the Master Password regardless. And if someone is determined enough to try to access your data, there are plenty of ways for them to discover that you're using 1Password in the first place. If 1Password's security depended on people not knowing I used 1Password, I wouldn't bother using it. 1Password isn't the secret; your Master password is. :sunglasses:

So I took the apps I didn't want other people to see and I moved them to /Users/MyAccountName/Applications. To be honest that's a standard place for applications.

Exactly! And since anyone can know this, they'd also know where to look for the app.

If you install an app on your Mac and the installer asks whether you want it to be available just to you or for all users, and you select the option for the app to be available only to you, then the app will be placed in exactly that folder. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one?

You'll notice that you don't have this option when installing from the Mac App Store.

Also, just to point it out, in that folder I have a few other apps that were downloaded from the Mac App Store and they work just fine. mmmmm

Indeed, other apps that are a single executable and/or don't need to run in the background (as 1Password does if you want to use it in your web browser) don't necessarily have the same limitations. I hope this helps clarify things. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.