just replaced my iMac. Do I need to repurchase 1Password?

keithschaller
keithschaller
Community Member

1Password 6
Version 6.2.1 (621002)

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: brand new iMac
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:just replaced iMac. do i need to repurchase 1Password?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

No.

Exact details depend on whether you got 1PW from the Mac App Store or direct from AgileBits.

If from the App Store, just download it, logging in to the App Store with the same Apple ID you used to purchase.

If direct from AgileBits then download it again. It will be in trial mode, and you may have to reinstall your licence file (but that might be automatic). If you don't have the email that contained a link to the licence file, you can have it sent again.

However you will need to get hold of your data. Did you sync with Dropbox or iCloud? Or do you have Time Machine backups or clones of your old machine. You can get the data from any of those places, but exact details will depend on which version you have, and what backups or sync you have. Let us have more information and someone will give a more precise reply.

• keithschaller
    keithschaller
    Community Member

Dropbox. I am having a time of it. I depend on 1Password so much I'm pretty sure I could be a top salesman for you....

• keithschaller
    keithschaller
    Community Member

Things are pretty messed up now...
    I think somehow the 1Password on my new computer was synced with old data. I can get it to work on my old iMac, iPhone and iPad.
    But I cannot get it to open on the new iMac. The password that works on all the old devices will not open on the new one.
    Sending out an S.O.S...

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Hey @keithschaller,

I'm a bit confused here, you have two new computers? "new computer" and "new iMac"? :chuffed:

Basically what you need to do is determine the following:

Where did you originally purchase 1Password? The Apple App Store or the AgileBits webstore?

The easiest way to figure this out is to see in the App Store and see if you can just download 1Password or if it asks for you to pay for it. You can also check to see if you have an email receipt (and therefore purchased it from the AgileBits webstore).

If you purchased it from the AgileBits webstore, you can can download it here.

Note: If you purchased it from the AgileBits webstore, it's possible you were using 1Password 3.x and only had a license for that version? You'd have to purchase an upgrade license, which thankfully is sold at a cheaper upgrade price. You can check out your license status here.

Setting up your new computer:

You should first setup Dropbox on the new computer, and then install and setup 1Password. It should give you options to setup from the existing AgileKeychain / OPVault file in your Dropbox folder and will sync in all the data from there.

Old data:

You should check a device that has the current data that you have, and see what file you are syncing to. It's possible that you have multiple OPVault / Agilekeychain files in your Dropbox? You should only have one for each vault you are syncing over Dropbox.

It's also possible that if you synced to an different of a OPVault / Agilekeychain file that it would have a different Master Password.

Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.