I cannot create a backup my 1Password version 3.7.2 for iPhone through iTunes or to my PC

Options
mcremens
mcremens
Community Member

I have recently been having issues with 1Password version 3.7.2 for my iPhone (iOS version 9.2.1) crashing every time I go back after looking at saved login or account information. I was going to backup my data, then delete and reinstall the app to see if it works properly without crashing.

In the past I have been able to directly backup from the phone to my computer both on the same wi-fi network by following this path on the iPassword app: Settings -> Database -> Backup & Restore -> then the app states "Backup Service Started" and lists two addresses that I can type into my PC browser (Chrome) in order to backup 1Password. (My PC is on my same home network as my iPhone.) However, when I type in both of these addresses, neither works and I get an error from Chrome reading "This Site Can't be Reached" and "...server DNS address could not be found." In the past I have not had an issue backing up my 1Password data. I have no idea why this isn't working for me now.

Since that didn't work, I tried following your instructions for Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS) (Link: https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/). This seemed to work, but 1Password is not listed in File Sharing (step 5 under creating manual backups). How do I get 1Password to show up under File Sharing?

Let me know what I can do. Frustrating that the app constantly crashes for me, and much more so that I am unable to create a backup even using methods that have previously worked. Thank you.

Note: My PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium

Comments

• mcremens
    mcremens
    Community Member
    Options

Scrolled through more of the forum posts, and it appears that the version of 1Password (3.7.2) I was using was really old. (Is there a reason I couldn't download updated through iTunes like with other apps?)

Anyway, I followed the link https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/ and I no longer have the crashing problem.

As far as the backing up to my PC through my home wi-fi network, I will try that later this evening when I am home to see if that is still an issue. If it is, I'll try re-asking that question again.

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mcremens,

welcome to the 1Password forum :)

Sorry for the troubles you are having with 1Password 3.7.2. This version is indeed very old and was retired back in 2012. The reason you don't see an update for 1Password is that we released 1Password 4 for iOS as a new app.

Were you able to migrate all of your existing 1Password items over to 1Password 6?

Please let us know if the backup still fails in your home network or if you have any other questions.

• mcremens
    mcremens
    Community Member
    Options

Winnie...

Seems as though the migration worked quite smoothly. Still not going to delete version 3.7.2 quite yet, however.

Will let you know about the home network backup issues. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update!

Ben

• mcremens
    mcremens
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for extending this thread, but one more quick question since I upgraded...

With version 3.7.2 I was able to back up from my iPhone to my PC as noted in my original post. (Some of the problems I encountered may have been due to my home wi-fi network, which I think/hope have been resolved.)

With version 6.3.1 can I still back up over wi-fi if I only have 1Password for my iPhone? Or do I also need 1Password for my Windows PC as well? Not sure that I need to do a wi-fi backup with my PC as it appears that I have automatic syncing / backups with iCloud and I can create a backup and transfer it through iTunes.

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

With version 6.3.1 can I still back up over wi-fi if I only have 1Password for my iPhone? Or do I also need 1Password for my Windows PC as well?

@mcremens: Neither, actually! While you'll need to connect your iPhone temporarily via USB, you can save the backup using iTunes file sharing feature. That simply wasn't available in the old app you were using previously:

Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

It's important to keep in mind that sync is not the same as backup, since any changes will be sync'd, whereas backup allows you to save a copy of your data, frozen in time, in case you need to restore from it later. The method above is the only reliable means of backing up 1Password for iOS data, since iTunes and iCloud backups are not always dependable.

• mcremens
    mcremens
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: OK, thanks for the clarification.

I backed up 1Password on my phone via iTunes and a USB cable as described. That should work out great going forward. Now I just need to remember to backup regularly! Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.