Where did the share via text feature go? Now I can only share through airdrop or print.

pattiecovert
pattiecovert
Community Member

Typical workflow example—my husband would text me via Messages "What's the password for xxx..." and I would share the link. Where did that feature go? Thanks!!

1Password Version: 1Password 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Where did the share via text feature go? Now I can only airdrop or print.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@pattiecovert there's a long thread about this, explaining AgileBits' reasoning, here on the Mac beta forum. The best place to start in that thread is with the post to which I've linked.

Stephen

• pattiecovert
    pattiecovert
    Community Member

Thank you! That's a shame, now I have to copy/paste the info in Messages instead of a secure link. (Which is VERY unsecure, but what other option do I have?)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pattiecovert,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re missing this feature. Hopefully you took some time to read our security expert’s posts in that thread to learn a bit more about why we felt it was necessary to remove this feature. Rest assured, we are looking into options for sharing that is truly secure.

Since you’re talking about sharing details with your husband, have you considered creating a shared vault in 1Password? Then you both would have instant access to all of the important items and there would be no need to send a password over iMessage.

You can learn more about multiple vaults in our User Guide:

Multiple Vaults

• swisschris
    swisschris
    Community Member

It is a shame that the "messages" sharing feature has been removed - but then also not such a surprise. Claiming the security issue is a good point but you completely took away the choice for your customer, not even leaving an option with a warning. That leads to the assumption that it is not really about security but about Agilebits wanting to sell more 1Password Families/Team subscriptions. Bummer :(

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@swisschris,

The problem with the old share link was that it did indeed look secure. But in reality it wasn't any more secure than sending the password in plaintext over iMessage. Anyone with a copy of 1Password could simply tap the link if they got it, and the item would be added to their own copy of 1Password. Since 1Password is a free download, that means anyone could use the link if they obtained it. Same with sending the password in plaintext.

That said, since iMessage is end-to-end encrypted, you should feel just as confident sending the password via iMessage as you did sending the share link.

Of course, be sure you have disabled "Send as SMS" in iOS Settings > Messages, so that the message isn't sent as a less secure SMS.

More on that in the last section ("Finding a secure channel") of our old blog post: Understanding Sharing. Reading that blog post may help you better understand why we removed the feature.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. It is great that you are thinking about these things.

• swisschris
    swisschris
    Community Member

@khad
    Thanks, I completely understand the risk with the "old" share link - no problem at all. I am addressing the fact that it was just removed without a choice for the user. Now that you call it "old", I did t see yet a new version with a "new" share link or function e.g. for text or iMessage - did I miss that?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@swisschris,

It is only "old" in the sense that it is no longer around. Perhaps "retired" would have been a better word to use.

We intentionally did not leave it as an option as we didn't want to give folks rope to hang themselves with. With plaintext, it is much more obvious that you need to find a secure channel. Many people did not realize that about the retired share links.

• swisschris
    swisschris
    Community Member

@khad
    I hear you... but many of us did realize the risk and were able to ensure that we only used iMessage and not SMS. It would be nice if I as a user still can choose and not being declared incapable of handling my data safely

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@swisschris,

It's not you, it's me… or, rather, it's us. 1Password is used by millions of people, so we need to make sure that we are making the secure thing to do the easy thing to do. I'm sorry for this inconvenience for you. I hope you can understand why it was removed. You can continue to share via iMessage if you are not interested in the increased security and convenience of 1Password Families. AirDrop is another great option. As our Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts mentioned in his aforelinked post, it is much more secure than iMessage.

The only reason it was removed was because of the security concerns. To quote jpgolderg:

The potential for people to use it in ways that harm their security [was] significant.

We simply couldn't in good conscience leave it in the app when there are better, more secure alternatives.

This discussion has been closed.