Tags not syncing to cloud

Options
martin21
martin21
Community Member

Hi there, yesterday I've added a lot of tags to all my items in 1Password using my iPhone. When I checked on my Mac I noticed that some of the tags were added but a lot of them didn't. Checking my iPad I saw that also there the tags are not created for all items. I've added a screenshot of my tags on my iPhone and on my Mac. New items that I create are synced between both devices.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:tags

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @martin21 ,

It sounds like you bumped into some annoying issue. I'd like to ask you a few questions that might help us figure out what's going on here! First, let me see if I understand this correctly: the passwords do appear in all your devices, but some of them appear without the tags you added on your phone, right? What happens when you create a brand new item with a tag? What happens if you create the tag on your Mac? Does it appear on your phone? Maybe it's a delay with syncing, or something similar. I hope we get the to the bottom of this soon! :chuffed:

• martin21
    martin21
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar, thanks for your prompt reply. I've did some further testing. Created a item on my iPhone incl. tag and the new item doesn't appear at all (and I've started the sync manually). However I've also added an item on my Mac yesterday and this new item does appear on my iPhone.

• martin21
    martin21
    Community Member
    Options

With some delay the new item (iphone created) does appear now on my other devices including the new tag. The other tags are still not synced.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @martin21,

It sounds like there is some issue with the syncing process, it's only getting partially done. I think that someone from AgileBits will have to get a look at it. If you want to get that started, I'd recommend you to send a diagnosis report following this instructions: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html. Keep in mind that you should not post the results from them here! I hope that your problem gets solved soon! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@martin21: Thanks for following up! I'm sorry you're still having this problem. And indeed, I think we may need some diagnostic information to understand what's going on, as Pilar suggested.

Unfortunately without some other basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong in the first place and how we might right it! For instance, it appears that you gave the 1Password version you're using on iOS, but the OS X version you're using on your Mac. And since both devices are involved it's important to have a clear picture of each.

Please tell us all OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action. The more information you can give, the better. For instance, be sure to follow the steps in this guide, as it will help narrow down the problem:

Dropbox Sync troubleshooting

I wonder if you're having sync conflicts which are resulting in "conflicted copy" files being created in Dropbox for the items with missing tags. Let me know what you find!

Finally, if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report for each device and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, Agile Keychain, Cloud Keychain, Database, Dropbox, SQLite, and Sync

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

ref: QDB-75923-393

• martin21
    martin21
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Pilar, thanks for your help so far.

Hi @brenty, I've send the OSX and iOS diagnostics reports. Hereby also all device information (all of them running the latest versions of iOS and 1Password)
    iPhone 6S - iOS 9.3.1 - 1Password 6.3.1
    iPad Air (1) - iOS 9.3.1 - 1Password 6.3.1
    MBPr 15" (2012) - OS X 10.11.4 - 1Password 6.2.1

Dropbox syncing doen't seem to be the problem since all new created items are visible on all devices. Hereby my steps. I decided to add (a lot) of tags to my items. I did this using my iPhone. 1. Opening an (existing) item 2. Press edit 3. added a tag 4. saved the item. And so on in quick succession. When I checked on my MacBook I noticed that many items did't get the new tag that I created. Some did, but many didn't. See also the screenshots in my first post that show the unequal tags between my Mac and iPhone. The new tags are also missing on my iPad.

Checking all items just now and I noticed 1 item (created in 2014) on my Mac and iPad that doesn't appear on my iPhone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@martin21: Did you try the Dropbox troubleshooting guide I suggested? As I mentioned, Dropbox will sometimes create "conflicted copy" files, and that may be where the "missing" data is. At the very least, it's important to verify that changes are making their way to Dropbox in the first place, and this can be checked through the website, which is covered in that guide as well. If some data is not making it to or from the Dropbox servers, checking items within 1Password won't tell us much I'm afraid. :(

• martin21
    martin21
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I checked the dropbox troubleshooting guide. All questions can be answered with Yes and the test file does appear in the dropbox folder. I guess you are right about the"conflicted copy" files. Only I don't know how to fix this, I don't see a chapter on "conflicted copy" files. However, would the problem be solved if I switch to iCloud syncing? I did use Dropbox because I had purchased 1Password 5 (now 6) though your website and not the Appstore and iCloud syncing was unavailable at that time. But if I remember correct it is available now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@martin21: Unfortunately there isn't any way to programmatically determine which copy is "correct" when a conflict occurs, since that's pretty subjective. I suspect this is why Dropbox doesn't try, since there's no way to infer the intent of the user when the same file is changed in multiple places.

And ultimately as much as we love Dropbox because it is file-based, that does also have some drawbacks in situations like this. You could simply drag one copy (without the "conflicted" label) to your Desktop and rename the remaining "conflicted copy" to match the other. When you relaunch 1Password, it will load that file instead. But you'd probably also have to disable Dropbox during this process or it would be syncing this as well. Dropbox just doesn't have a conflict resolution interface. Unless you count the filesystem. And I wouldn't.

iCloud may be a better option in your case. The caveat is that iCloud Sync only supports the Primary vault, so if you have more than one it may not meet your needs. However, given that iCloud Sync is database-and server-focused, it doesn't meet with the same challenges: the server is "the truth", so there's always a canonical database to prevent conflicts. And of course all versions of 1Password 6 for Mac and iOS support iCloud Sync. Let me know what you think!

• martin21
    martin21
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty, I switched to iCloud sync and the problem is solved. Thanks so much for your assistance

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update martin21! Glad to hear you were able to find a solution.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.