My master password for OS X and iOS is the same. It opens 1password on iOS but OS X rejects it.

Frattonizer
Frattonizer
Community Member

I've never changed the password, and only have one OS X version in Finder, 6.2.1. The iOS version is 6.3.1. I've restarted my iMAC and know the master password is correct.

I've also tried restoring the OS X version (to different backups and at a date when I know the OS X version was working ok), but the problem remains. As the iOS version on my phone is ok, can I sync it to my Mac to resolve the problem (and if yes, how)? Any other suggestions gratefully received, many thanks in anticipation.

1Password Version: 6.2.1 OS X 6.3.1 iOS
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4 iOS 9.3.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:master-password-not-accepted, kb:starting-over, ug:mac/, kb-search:master password is the same for iOS and OS X but is not accepted on os x , kb:master-password-not-accepted

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Frattonizer,

I'm sorry you have to deal with this annoying issue. I think that the easiest way for you to solve it would be to delete your 1Password data from your Mac and start over. You can then sync your Mac to your iPhone to get all your data back in place. You can see how to start over here:
    https://support.1password.com/starting-over/mac.html.

Please let us of know if this helped you! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Frattonizer: Indeed, that will allow you to start over on the Mac if the data was corrupted, and sync your data back over to it. Just be sure to backup your data first. Please let us know how it turns out!

• Frattonizer
    Frattonizer
    Community Member

Thanks both for your help. I've created a backup in iTunes from my iPhone, followed the instructions for starting over (removing the 2BUA file to desktop, restarting my mac and restoring from the new back up), but the new mac version still won't accept my master password, which still works on my iPhone. So I'm back to where I was. Any further advice and guidance would be much appreciated.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Frattonizer,

I wonder if the problem came back because you restored from a backup instead of syncing the data from your iPhone. Sorry to make you jump through more hoops, but once you start over, try syncing from iCloud instead of restoring from a backup.

• Frattonizer
    Frattonizer
    Community Member

Thanks, the backup I used to restore was from my iPhone via iTunes. I've started over and tried restoring using iCloud but the result is the same, 1Password will still not accept my master password, which still works on my iPhone. Can you advise any other options? I do appreciate the help, thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Frattonizer,

I’m sorry that you’re still running into this issue, I can imagine how frustrating it must be. Let’s see if we can get to the bottom of this.

• Does your Master Password have any special or accented characters in it?
    • Try toggling the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys when entering your Master Password. (If this issue has been going on for a while, its unlikely that this is the trouble, but it can’t hurt to try!)
    • Type in your password with (or without) spaces, caps, accents, etc.
    • Switch keyboard layouts: might your keyboard be set up differently than when you created your Master Password? You can check your keyboard layout in System Preferences > Keyboard > Input sources

Please let us know if any of these tips help!

• Frattonizer
    Frattonizer
    Community Member

Bingo! I don't know how or if it was changed somehow but my keyboard was set to English (US), changing it to British seems to have done the trick. Many thanks, I'm grateful and best regards from England.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! I'm glad to hear switching the keyboard layout solved the problem. Thanks for following up here to let us know!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.