Backup Failed message after upgrade to version 6, missing data

DanH
DanH
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Mac

Since I updated to 6.2.1 (621002), I am getting a Backup Failed message every few minutes. Don't know what happened!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:O am getting a beep and a Backup Failed message every few minutes. This started after upgrading to 6

Comments

• DanH
    DanH
    Community Member

Need some help on this.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@DanH have you rebooted your Mac since updating 1Password? Does it make any difference if you do so?

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DanH: Indeed, be sure to try that first. Otherwise it sounds like there may be a permissions issue preventing 1Password from saving the backup file. You can use the 1Password troubleshooting utility to repair permissions. Please let us know how it turns out! :)

• DanH
    DanH
    Community Member

This past week, I was getting a message that I could not download the update for my V. 6 because I had multiple copies of the software on my computer. In seeking to delete the previous copies, I have lost or deleted my data file. :( I regularly back up using Time Machine, so I should be able to restore if I can find the right file. Where is it and is there a specific process for restoring? This is the most important software I use and I feel marooned!

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.2.1 (621002) AgileBits Store
    Extension Version: 4.5.5
    OS Version: 10.11.4
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: kb:extension-troubleshooting, kb:ios-itunes-backups, kb:remove-multiple-apps, kb:uninstall-1password

• DanH
    DanH
    Community Member

I did reboot Stephen, and then, my data file disappeared! Apparently, in the process of trying to delete old versions, I either disconnected from the data file or lost it. I have it backed up with Time Machine, but don't know where the file is. Thanks for any help.

• DanH
    DanH
    Community Member

Brent, I did download the utility and did the permissions fix.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DanH,

I noticed you also posted about this problem in another thread you originally opened for a different issue. It sounds like one issue somehow led to the other, so to avoid confusion, I've merged both discussions together. I hope you don't mind! I'm sorry you've had these problems with 1Password 6, but we should be able to help get things back to normal.

Deleting extra (or older) copies of the 1Password app shouldn't cause your data to disappear, because your data isn't stored in the app - it's in another location on your Mac. If you no longer see your data in 1Password 6, it's possible you accidentally deleted the folder containing your data. Or if you used an app cleaning utility to delete the 1Password app, that may have deleted other files associated with the app. Either way, I'm glad to hear you have a Time Machine backup, as that should make things much simpler!

You mentioned you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 6, which stores data in this location: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

If 1Password 6 had the chance to make any backups of your data before the problems started, those backups should be stored here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

You can follow these steps to find your 1Password backups in Time Machine:

• In the Finder, click the Go menu and select Go to Folder
    • Copy and paste (or type) the following line into the Go to the folder field: ~/Library/
    • Click the Go button (this should open your username/Library folder)
    • Now click the Time Machine icon in your Mac's menu bar, and select Enter Time Machine
    • Using the up/down arrows next to the open window in Time Machine, go back to the date that should have the backups
    • In the Library folder (which should be open), navigate to this location:
      /Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

You can restore one or more of those backup files, or the entire Backups folder. To restore from one of those backups, open the 1Password app and go to File > Restore. If you don't see the backup files you restored from Time Machine, click Find Backup, then select a backup file.

Please let us know how it goes. If you run into any trouble, just let us know exactly what happens, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• DanH
    DanH
    Community Member

I restored from my time machine backup. Thanks! A problem. The folder that the database for v. 6 is located in is named 1Password 4. I thought that had to do with the old version, and deleted it. I would suggest that you name the folder for the current version or at least something else. I have a situation on my wife's computer that has a separate installation of 1 Password that is trying to update automatically, but it keeps saying there are multiple installations on her computer and can't proceed. Is there someway you could have a deinstall as a part of the upgrade path?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you were able to restore your data, @DanH. We never encourage anyone to poke around in the hidden library folder, and we especially don't ever recommend deleting 1Password data no matter what number is there. But perhaps we can change that at some point. :)

We actually have an update on the way that will make resolving the problem of multiple copies of 1Password a lot easier. In the meantime, be sure to follow the steps in our support article:

How to remove multiple, conflicting copies of 1Password from your system

This discussion has been closed.