1Password empty after restoring Dropbox link

NicholasR
NicholasR
Community Member

Hi guys,

I unmounted the drive containing my Dropbox folder with my 1Password vault, I was doing some maintenance on the drive and everything went haywire. After restarting the machine and restarting Dropbox etc 1Password needed to relink to the vault. But now when I open 1Password it sees the vault in my dropbox folder but it has zero entries. It is totally functional and populated on my other devices, just this one computer is not happy.

I tried reinstalling 1Password to no avail. Any other ideas?

Thank you

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NicholasR,

I’m sorry that you’re having trouble here. The fact that you have your database on your other devices is great, we’ll likely just have to make sure that 1Password on your Mac is looking at the same file as your other devices. In order to give you proper instructions, I’ll need a bit more detail on your 1Password set up:

• How many computers and devices are currently running 1Password? (Please include basic version information for each device).
    • Do you use multiple vaults?
    • Do you have multiple Agile Keychain or OPVault files currently stored in Dropbox?

Once we know more, we’ll be able to help get you sorted out.

• NicholasR
    NicholasR
    Community Member

Megan, thanks for reply.

I have 1Password with this vault on a bunch of machines. 3 macs, 3 PC's and 3 iOS devices.
    I only have one vault and only the one Agile Keychain in Dropbox.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @NicholasR!

1Password for Mac stores your data locally in an SQLite database file, and the Agile Keychain file in Dropbox is only used for syncing purposes. Therefore, even if 1Password can suddenly no longer find your Dropbox folder, that should only disable the sync settings, and you should still see all your data in the 1Password app (because what you see in the app is coming from the local SQLite database). So if none of your data is showing up when you open 1Password on that Mac, that's very strange.

Can you elaborate a bit on what happened after you did some maintenance and rebooted your Mac? When you opened 1Password for the first time after the reboot, was your data initially there, and it just gave you an error about the sync settings? Or was your data missing as soon as you opened it, even before re-enabling Dropbox sync? Or did 1Password take you through a setup procedure as if it was the very first time you'd ever used it? That might help to explain why this happened in the first place.

Right now, is 1Password syncing correctly between all your other Macs, PCs, and iOS devices? So if you create a new item or make a change on one, it appears on the others?

To check the sync settings on each device, please follow these steps:

On each Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab and make sure it shows your Primary vault is set to sync with Dropbox.
    • Check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On each Windows PC:

• Open 1Password and click the Preferences button.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Check the file name and file path shown next to 1Password Vault.

On each iOS device:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • Make sure it shows the Sync Service is Dropbox.
    • Tap "Sync Service" and check the file name and path for the sync file in Dropbox (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox).

Does 1Password point to the exact same sync file in the exact same Dropbox location on each device? Is that the same file/location you see in 1Password on the Mac where your data is missing?

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.