how do i add a license number after a trial?

susan_steiner
susan_steiner
Community Member

i started with 1password 4 on a mac laptop, in july 2014 as part of a family plan. recently i bought a new macbook and did a trial to transfer the info. i have the license key but do not know where to enter it. i can not go into the account as i was not the one who set it up. advice?
thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:faq, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb:faq

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @susan_steiner,

Thanks to reaching out to us for help with this! I'm sorry you're having a bit of trouble activating the app with a license.

If I understand, it sounds like someone in your family purchased a Family License for 1Password 4 for Mac from our AgileBits Store in 2014. You recently installed 1Password 6 on a new MacBook and you need to activate that with the license. Is that correct?

If so, please note that starting in version 4, 1Password for Mac uses a license file for activation (not a code). The same license file for 1Password 4 for Mac also works for 5 and 6, so you'll just need to get a copy of that so you can use it to activate the app. You mentioned you have a 'key' but I'm not sure if that's a code or file. If it's a code, it sounds like a license for 1Password 3 for Mac (which is included for free with a 1Password 4/5/6 license), or possibly a license for 1Password for Windows.

If you have a copy of your license file, you should be able to double-click on that in order to activate 1Password 6. If you need a new copy sent to you (or to the family member who made the purchase), you can find information on how to do that here: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

Does that help at all? If not, just let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.