website load speed slow after update to version 6.2.1

apgmd
apgmd
Community Member

Slow loads of multiple websites after installing Version 6.2.1 on mac using Safari browser. Disabling 1Password extension eliminates slowdown.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:website load speed slow after update to version 6.2.1

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @apgmd,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with that! Just to make sure I understand, have you been using 1Password 6 and the 1Password extension in Safari prior to this problem, and it only started once you installed the 6.2.1 update? Or did you just recently install 1Password 6 on your Mac for the first time, and it has been an issue since then?

You said the slow loading happens on "multiple websites". Does that mean it happens for some sites but not others? So some websites still load as they used to? Does it seem to happen with the same sites every time, or does it seem to be random?

Do you have other extensions installed in Safari? If so, would you be able to try disabling all extensions except for 1Password, and see if the problem still happens?

• apgmd
    apgmd
    Community Member

I had been using the same computer, Safari and prior versions of 1Password before installing update. Disabling the one other extension (Adblock) made no difference. I tired multiple websites including New York Times, Slickdeals, MacRumors, etc. and noticed a latency in loading of page. Once the site was cached and I returned loading was much faster. The problem seems consistent at each of the sites. MY internet connection is through Google Fiber and I measured download speed of 884 mb/sec. The same problem occurs on multiple computers. I do not see problem with Google Chrome browser.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @apgmd,

The extension does have to install scripts in both the global page and within each tab/IFrame for the extension to work but this is the same regardless of the browser. I can't think of anything we've done that is browser specific in the last few versions so I confess I'm struggling to think of a reason why you're seeing latency in Safari that you're saying is not present if the extension is disabled and as a primarily Safari user I can't say I've experienced this myself.

I'm curious to know what other troubleshooting you might have already done, for example.

1. Have you uninstalled and downloaded a fresh copy of the 1Password Safari Extension?
    2. Have you restarted your Mac at all recently?
    3. Have you cleared the cache on both Safari and Chrome to see how the two compare from a clear cache state?

Given this is the only report so far the odds are it's something weird happening on your system. That isn't to completely discount the possibility of there being an issue with the 1Password Safari Extension, just that if there was a general issue I would have thought we would see a lot more reports as it's quite a popular browser on the Mac I believe.

• apgmd
    apgmd
    Community Member

I had been using 1Password for a long time on this computer. The slow loads seem to be on all web sites. I always try other sites to rule out specific server issues. I checked download speed and I have 880 mb/sec speed. The only other extension is Adblock and disabling this extension made no difference. I also tried other browser (Google Chrome) and do not see the same problem.

• apgmd
    apgmd
    Community Member

I have reinstalled browser extension, restarted computer and cleaned out caches. It is probably just the inherent speed of Safari in loading web pages. I usually use New York Times website and Google Chrome is faster loading the page. I get a brief pause on almost all pages when loading with Safari compared to almost instantaneous loading with Chrome. It may not be related to 1Password but after speaking with Apple that was all they could recommend as cause. Loading the cached pages is about the same on both browsers. I will just have to live with it...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@apgmd,

It does sound like you may be running into limitations in Safari rendering speed versus Chrome rendering speed. 880 megabytes per second is blazing fast. I am not too surprised if the bottleneck moves from the incoming speed of the "pipe" to how fast the browsers can render the content at that point.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns, though. :)

Cheers!

• apgmd
    apgmd
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your courtesy and diligence in working with me on this concern. I guess Google Chrome is "faster" in rendering the incoming data as you mention above. I may make Chrome my default browser since it seems to work on the websites I visit.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That sounds like a fine idea. :+1:

Have a wonderful rest of your week!

This discussion has been closed.