Changed master password not accepted by IOS

Options
pdx_photoman
pdx_photoman
Community Member

As a new user (family plan), I established a very involved password on my OSX desktop installation, then quickly discovered it was nearly impossible to log in on IOS devices. I changed it my OSX and it works fine, but my IOS devices -- IPhone and IPad -- will only accept the old one. How do I get them in sync?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:Changing master password, kb:master-password-not-accepted, kb:change-master-password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pdx_photoman: Just to make sure we're on the same page, are you using 1Password Families, or did you mean something else by "family plan"? It sounds like that may be where the confusion lies. It isn't currently possible to change the master password for a 1Password Families account in the apps, only in the web interface, and it sounds like you changed it in 1Password for Mac. If you can tell me more about your setup and the exact steps you're taking, I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this. :)

• pdx_photoman
    pdx_photoman
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Perhaps this thread can help me, since I got no response to my earlier message. After installing 1Password (family plan trial) on my IMac, my iPhone, and my iPad, I realized that the master PW I'd selected for the desktop was going to be extremely cumbersome for the IOS platforms, so I changed it on the Mac. All went well, but when I go to use the new master PW on either the IOS devices, it won't let me in. However, the old, cumbersome one will. How do I sync these? Or don't I? Perhaps I need to change the master PW individually on each device. Can someone please enlighten me?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pdx_photoman,

I see that you posted about this in another thread, so to avoid confusion, I've moved that post to this existing discussion you started about the same problem. As you can see above, brenty replied to you yesterday (you should have received an email notification about that). Like he mentioned, we'll need to know a few more details, such as the exact steps you took to change your master password on your Mac. For example, did you change it from within the 1Password for Mac app, or from your 1Password Families account settings via a web browser?

Once we know a bit more, we should have a better idea what to suggest next and how to get this all sorted out. Thanks in advance! :)

• pdx_photoman
    pdx_photoman
    Community Member
    Options

I changed it on the website on the Families account. [our account].1password.com, My Profile, Change Master Password. The notification was trapped in my junk filter. My apologies.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries, @pdx_photoman. I've had much more important emails end up in my own junk mail folder. :)

At the moment, the Master Password on iOS isn't tied directly to your family account. You'll need to change the Master Password in 1Password for iOS separately. Think of it like a password for the iOS app itself, and then you sign in to your family account within the app.

We are working on improving that, as it should just use the same Master Password for both to avoid this confusion. Really sorry for the trouble. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

• pdx_photoman
    pdx_photoman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, muchly. That's what I suspected, but didn't want to fool around any more until I know for sure. It's a marvelous program and has convinced me to move from Roboform after years with them.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much, @pdx_photoman! We're thrilled to have you switch over, and I'll be sharing your kind words with the rest of the team here. :)

Have a great rest of your week!

• pdx_photoman
    pdx_photoman
    Community Member
    Options

It worked perfectly, and I am so satisfied I've signed up for a year. Great program. Very straightforward.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Now you're just trying to make us blush. Haha! Glad everything is working well. That is always what we want to hear. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.