Should I delete any vault backups after I change my master password?

mathurd
mathurd
Community Member

Do the backups created by 1Password before changing my master password still need my old password to be opened? Should I delete these backups if I think my old password was compromised? What about the backups that Dropbox creates whenever changes are synced?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mathurd,

You are correct that any backups created prior to a change to your Master Password would only unlock using your old Master Password. It's best to think of the backups as a snapshot of your vault as it was at that time and your Master Password is part of that.

To make sure we give you the best advice that we can I'd like to ask, how real do you believe the possibility is that your old password has been compromised and do you believe somebody could have access to your Dropbox? If you believe it's a real threat I will write out all the steps to give you complete piece of mind that your vault is secure again but this is scorched earth methodology so there is no doubt which means a number of steps. If this is what you want though please just say and use the following in your reply @littlebobbytables so that I will receive a message saying you've mentioned my name and I'll get started.

• mathurd
    mathurd
    Community Member

Thanks, @littlebobbytables. I don't believe my old password was compromised or that somebody could access my Dropbox.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @mathurd,

If you (or anybody else) was in that situation the steps I would personally recommend would include changing all the passwords inside your vault. As a result the backups would become meaningless as they would contain nothing but out of date information but they could be deleted even if it's just to keep 1Password's folders clean of useless information. I'm happy to hear this isn't the case for you though :smile:

This discussion has been closed.