1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” when trying to open 1Password, 1Password 3

teamandrea
teamandrea
Community Member

Mine is 1Password3! I read another post where you advised dumping the old version in the trash then downloading the newest version again, but will I not lose all my passwords and logins?

1Password Version: 1Password3 single
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” when trying to open 1Password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @teamandrea,

If you're getting a message about 1Password mini then you must have a copy of 1Password 4 or newer on your system as well as 1Password 3. The reason is 1Password mini is something that only exists in the newer versions. As you're running OS X 10.11 AKA El Capitan we do strongly recommend upgrading to 1Password 6 for Mac as 1Password 3 is old enough now that it really isn't compatible like it was with the likes of Mountain Lion. I see you have a licence for 1Password 6 for Mac purchased this year so you will want to use it.

When you launch 1Password 6 for the first time it should ask you if you want to use existing data and it should look something like this

If you don't even seen this screen because of the error message about 1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini then our page, If you see “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini” when trying to open 1Password may be of assistance.

Hopefully something here helps but please do let us know how you get along either way as if you're still having issues then we do want to help.

• teamandrea
    teamandrea
    Community Member

Hi. I have never gotten to the "use existing data"option as I only get the "1password failed to connect" message.

My question is...if I trash the current 1Password I am running, as I believe I read in another user's solution, will I not lose all my info?

I am quite stuck. I can't open the new one, the old one is failing.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That's a good question, @teamandrea! Your data is stored separately from the app itself. So your data will be safe. Please be sure to follow the steps in the support article here:

https://support.1password.com/error-connect-to-mini/

If you are stuck on a specific step, please let me know which step. I'm happy to provide more specific assistance. :)

• teamandrea
    teamandrea
    Community Member

I'm in!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.