iPhone reset backup plan?

Options
d8ngerous
d8ngerous
Community Member

I had a surprise the other day when my iPhone reset and asked me for my apple id. It's stored in my 1Password vault which I couldn't get to unless I could get into the phone. I saw that someone else asked this question and was told all about syncing to other devices. Luckily, when I was locked out of my phone I was home and could retrieve the password from another device, but I started thinking about how screwed I would've been if I had been out somewhere with only my phone and needed something--like a ticket, boarding pass, or apple pay. With 1Password Anywhere I could've gone onto a computer somewhere and retrieved my apple id; Is there any way now to access my 1Password logins besides carrying a second synced device with me at all times?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @d8ngerous

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

First, regardless of what password management solution you use, any reputable vendor will warn you about accessing your data from an untrusted device (any device that isn't yours should be considered untrusted). You can just never be sure what malware may be present on the system.

Our 1Password for Families subscription service does include a web interface through which you can access your 1Password data, but we'd still only recommend accessing this from your own devices. I believe this may have helped in your case though. As long as you could get to a point where you could use Safari on your iPhone you could've logged into the 1Password for Families service and accessed the credentials for your Apple ID. Without knowing exactly what went on with your phone I can't say for sure that this would've been a workable solution, but in most of the cases like you've described that I've seen it is possible to cancel the prompt for Apple ID credentials and continue to use the phone. You may not be able to use services that rely on being logged into your ID until you were able to retrieve your credentials, but I've not personally seen a case yet where the phone was completely locked out until Apple ID credentials were entered.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• d8ngerous
    d8ngerous
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, never before had the iPhone asked me to "reactivate" it using the apple id. Do you happen to know what I would do to cancel the prompt? I probably need to do some research as I have no idea why it suddenly asked for it instead of the normal numerical password. I hadn't been upgrading the iOS or anything unusual. And, yes, I agree, I wouldn't use an untrusted device unless I couldn't come up with an alternative.

• Ben
    Options

@d8ngerous

Do you happen to know what I would do to cancel the prompt? I probably need to do some research as I have no idea why it suddenly asked for it instead of the normal numerical password.

Without knowing exactly what happened it is difficult to say. If it ever happens again I'd be very interested in seeing a screenshot. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.