Two user accounts: one using Families, the other syncing with Dropbox. How do I license properly?

eliotwhite
eliotwhite
Community Member

I have two user accounts on one machine with the AgileBits version of 1Password installed. For one user account (personal), I am signed into my 1Password for Families account, and so 1Password is effectively licensed and working just fine. For the other user account (work), I do not want to sign into my Families account so I can keep personal/work life separate, and I do want to use Dropbox for syncing my passwords. However, for the work user account, 1Password doesn’t consider itself licensed and so is operating in trial mode. Does my families license apply in this case? Can I log into my Families account as my work user, have it license properly, and then log out again?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Families/Dropbox
Referrer: kb:switch-from-mac-app-store

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eliotwhite,

Don’t worry, I completely understand the desire to keep work and home separate.

Unfortunately, logging into your 1Password Families account temporarily on your work account won’t permanently license the app. You would need to remain signed in to keep 1Password out of trial mode.

I’d like to hear a bit more about your current 1Password set up though. Are you dealing with a completely separate vault on your work account, or are you duplicating items from your Families vaults into a separate vault you can sync to your work account?

• eliotwhite
    eliotwhite
    Community Member

I’d like to hear a bit more about your current 1Password set up though. Are you dealing with a completely separate vault on your work account, or are you duplicating items from your Families vaults into a separate vault you can sync to your work account?

Sure. The vault I use with my work user account is completely separate and its contents are not in my home user account (the one I use Families with). I.e., I have not duplicated logins, et al between my Families vaults and my work vault, with the exception of maybe one or two items. The work user account’s vault is synced via Dropbox to an iPad and an iPhone, both of which have an empty Primary vault synced via iCloud (I stopped using this when I signed up for Families) and are signed in to Families. I own both those devices, so I’m okay with a little less separation there, though if there were user accounts possible on the iPad, I would think about creating a little more separation on that one.

• Hi @eliotwhite,

You could create a separate user account, or a guest account, within your family for your work computer to login to. That way you'd maintain separation of data between work and personal, but would get the work computer licensed appropriately.

Can I log into my Families account as my work user, have it license properly, and then log out again?

As Megs mentioned the trial is only unlocked so long as your are logged into an active (in good standing) 1Password account. When you remove the last account the application will return to trial mode (if there is time left on the trial), or expire. Having a separate account (or a guest account) may make staying logged in more tolerable though.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• eliotwhite
    eliotwhite
    Community Member

Darn.

I remembered shortly after your last response that I do own the Mac App Store version of 1Password, so I guess uninstalling the AgileBits version and going with the Mac App Store version is an option. I’ll think it over. Thanks!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

Hey @eliotwhite,

That's another option. The Mac App Store version does function pretty much identically, but if you prefer to stick with the AgileBits Store version, you could download the MAS version and then switch back to the AgileBits Store version which will then recognize the MAS certificate as a license. Kind of a roundabout way to go, I realize, but it's an option to consider. :)

Hopefully one of these options will work out for you. And as always, we'll be happy to help with anything else if you have any other questions for us. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.