1Password 6 not updating 1Password Families with changed/new passwords

Options
robibotn
robibotn
Community Member

So I changed a password for an account in 1Password 6.2.1 on my MacBook Air, come to find out it didn't update my Personal Account in 1Password Families. Why not??? The Desktop version shows a password history with a change on April 4, 2016. My Primary account in Families doesn't have that update.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:teams-user-getting-started, kb-search:1password primary not updating 1password family, kb:sync-options, kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• Hi @robibotn ,

I'm sorry you are having trouble with syncing items.

When you changed that account password, where is that stored? Is it stored in the Primary Vault, Personal Vault, or Shared Vault? (or other?)

When you said you looked at your account? Is that in the web browser or on another device?

With that information we should be able to help out a little bit more and figure out what is going on.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• robibotn
    robibotn
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using my 1Password Primary account on my MacBook Air. When I change a password there, I notice that it is not changed in 1Password Families. Do I stop using the Primary account on all my devices and use only the "Personal" vault in Families from now on????

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robibotn as a longtime 1Password user who recently signed up for 1Password Families, I've encountered the same situation. You are correct: If you want changes to your data to sync via 1Password Families, you'll have to make those changes in the "Personal" vault. This is because the "Primary" vault from the standalone version of 1Password is totally separate from your 1Password Families subscription. But if you want to sync data from your Primary vault across multiple devices, you can still do so via iCloud, Dropbox, or Wi-Fi Sync.

Or, if you want to focus on 1Password Families, you can migrate your existing data from the Primary vault to your Personal vault. To do so, simply select the items you want to move from your Primary vault and click Item > Share > Personal > Move or Copy.

We also recently updated 1Password for iPhone to make it easier to see only 1Password Families vaults, and I believe we're working on making that easier in 1Password for Mac, too. This should help clarify things and allow you to get the most out of 1Password Families without having a redundant vault to manage. (Unless, of course, you want the Primary vault to remain visible in the 1Password app.) Between the data migration and this, I believe this will cut down on a lot of the confusion and simply things for all of us :)

• robibotn
    robibotn
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, so moving into 1Password Families, I've copied my data from the stand alone 1Password on my desktop to the Families account. Now, how do I delete the Primary account in the stand alone apps so I no longer see it?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robibotn,

I’m glad to see we’re making progress here! Our developers are working on a simple way to remove that primary vault from 1Password, but at this time, it essentially requires wiping 1Password’s memory and starting fresh with just your 1Password account data. We can give you the steps to do so, but you might want to just hide the primary vault for now.

How do you hide the primary vault? Well, you can customize your All Vaults view in 1Password’s Preferences. Just select the ‘All Vaults’ menu and uncheck the primary vault. Now, when you’re viewing All Vaults, you’ll see your Personal vault and any shared Families vaults, but not the primary vault.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.