1Password with Chromium

Options
tnalias
tnalias
Community Member

Hi, 1Password works like a charm with Chromium and Windows 10, but it seems not possible to use the latest version of 1Password with Chromium on Mac OS. Please tell me how I can make them working together. Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tnalias,

Chromium is not code signed, so the only way for 1Password to work in Chromium is to disable code signature verification (which is there for your protection), and thereby lower your security. As such, we don't recommend using 1Password with Chromium.

Code signed browsers that 1Password does work with: Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, Safari Technology Preview, Vivaldi*, and Brave*.

*Support for Vivaldi and Brave is currently in 1Password for Mac Beta and will most likely be in the next stable release.

• tnalias
    tnalias
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot, it works like a charm now. I want to use an Open Source browser and I don't know what is the most secure for my private life: using Google Chrome or Chromium ;) Have a nice evening.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad Vee's answer was helpful for you, @tnalias!

I don't know what is the most secure for my private life: using Google Chrome or Chromium

As Vee mentioned, the code signature verification feature in 1Password is there for your protection. Disabling that option (in order to work with Chromium) slightly lowers the security of data communication between the 1Password app and its browser extensions. Therefore, as far as using 1Password goes, Chrome would be more secure than Chromium because you can keep code signature verification enabled.

Also keep in mind that Chromium is not a stable release version and is intended for testing and development purposes. Unless there's a reason you need to use Chromium, you may want to use Chrome.

We're always happy to help, so please let us know if you need anything else! :)

• buggypac
    buggypac
    Community Member
    Options

I use Chromium on OS X 10.11.5
    1Password 6.3.1 Mac App Store

1Password gives me the pop-up window stating a code signature verification error as expected with Chromium when code signature verification is enabled.

However, code signature verification is disabled:

...yet the error message still pops up stating that it's unable to work, however 1Password functions normally within Chromium.

Why does this message persist with CSV disabled? How can I stop the message from appearing?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @buggypac,

I'm sorry you're running into this annoying error message. Luckily there are some things that may help with this:

• Is your Chromium browser located in your Mac's Applications folder?
    • Have you tried restarting the Mac? (maybe a silly question but truly can help)
    • Do you use any firewalls, proxy servers, antivirus, or other software that may interfere with local connections? If so, which?

If answering these questions doesn't solve your problem, it will at least help guide us toward a solution for you. :) Cheers!

• buggypac
    buggypac
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help.

Is your Chromium browser located in your Mac's Applications folder?
    Yes.

Have you tried restarting the Mac? (maybe a silly question but truly can help)
    Yes. Still occurs after restarts.

Do you use any firewalls, proxy servers, antivirus, or other software that may interfere with local connections? If so, which?
    Only Little Snitch. Still occurs even when disabled.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@buggypac,

That does seem strange. As much as we recommend against turning off that option, it's there for a reason and should function correctly.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

This discussion has been closed.