I am completely lost during my migration

Options
gapton
gapton
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Families

I am a programmer with 10+ years experience. I use 1P purchased from AgileBits (package, includes Windows and Mac) and everything is good. I want to share some login with family (my wife) and also my employees so I joined Family when I receive the EDM.

Then things got extremely confusing and unclear.

OK, I use a Win 7 desktop with 1P & Chrome extension installed.
I use a Macbook with 1P6 & Chrome extension installed.
I already have license.
I signed up for Family. I followed the guide to migrate and COPY from my primary vault to "personal" vault.

I am too confused after fiddling with FAQ and guides for 2 hours.

So, I am in an extremely weird position. As I can move item from PRIMARY vault (sync via dropbox) to PERSONAL or SHARE vault , ONLY when using Mac.

The best feature for me is auto fill, my understanding is this is done via Chrome extension. So on Windows 1P5 + Chrome Extension, I can only use my PRIMARY vault (sync via dropbox) , but Family items can be accessed on Mac since I updated to 1P6 + Chrome Extension.

Both Mac and Windows are running Chrome Extension v4.5.5.90

I use PC at home and Mac at work. How am I suppose to adapt? If I create an item in PC , since Family functions are unavailable, I must open my Mac, open PRIMARY vault, find item, right click move to SHARE vault. If someone shared an item in SHARE vault in Family, I must first open my Mac, open SHARE vault, move to PRIMARY vault, then wait for sync before I can use it on PC.

I feel like I am going nuts. Can someone tell me if I am understanding this correctly or not? Also, I read other threads about Win 7 supoprt. Some say yes some seem to say no. Some say it is in dev? Is it possible to have one very precise and clear statement about Win 7 support? Will you release 1P6 (with Team and Family functions) on Win 7?

I am a developer and I have over 120 logins saved. I urgently need to share it with my employees so they can stop using Google Sheets to share passwords. I can't believe the FAQ is so unclear that I spend 2 hours and still have so many questions.

1Password Version: 1P6.2.1 (Mac) 1P4.6.0.604 (Win7)
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90 (Mac & Win7)
OS Version: Mac OSX 10.11.3 Windows 7
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• mdmangus
    mdmangus
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

@gapton You are not going nuts. Only the mac has a full blown Rich Client that supports Families at this time. They have stated in other Window forums they are re-writing 1Password for Windows to bring in Sharing for Families and they have no ETA for it and will be months. Only on Windows 10 as a metro application can you use the built-in 1Browser to do auto fill, but again its using the built-in browser in the metro app. There is no Rich Client traditional application to install 1Password on Windows 7, 8 or even Windows 10.

So your only option is to log into the web based to manually copy username and passwords. This is what I am doing at work and etc. It isn't great, but I really like the new services and how it is on my Home Mac that I'm willing to go through these pains until they develop for the other platforms.

Again, you are not nuts and it is a pita. I thought about what you are doing moving or copying sites to the Primary vault so I could continue dropbox with maybe at work, but currently the web portal for family sharing doesn't have ability to move items to different vaults. It only allows creating items at this time.

They have work to do, but with that I am enjoying the service. Both my wife and myself have mac's at home and we both use Android which is handling pretty well. So far it is good enough, but the Windows side really blows right now. :-(

• gapton
    gapton
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you mdmangus. Will have to settle for a lot of copy and pasting for now. (at least on windows)

Also, any chance of Linux support?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gapton! Thanks for joining the forums and reaching out to us with your concerns. I'm glad that @mdmangus' response was helpful.

Our development team is hard at work on a Windows app with full browser integrations and 1Password Families support. This will require a lot of development, testing, debugging, etc. so we aren't rushing the process, but we do know it's important to many of our customers.

So far as Linux support goes, there's an existing thread about the subject in the Lounge. We haven't ruled it out, but we don't have the bandwidth to build a Linux client while we continue work on our existing apps and new products. Right now the best way to use 1Password on Linux is to access the web interface for 1Password Families or 1Password for Teams.

I hope that answers your questions!

This discussion has been closed.